[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Kessil Moonlight Options

Bookmark and Share
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Kessil Moonlight Options

I picked up a Kessil for my new tank. I temporarily installed it over my current system. I wasn't too worried about moonlight. But realized in the last few nights, I've lost 2/3rds of my fish. The small neon gobies and red spot cardinals I assume must have bumped into a coral or nem and been eaten. Or maybe they jumped and I haven't found them yet. But regardless it appears both of my neon gobies are MIA and two out of four red spots are no longer with us.

I know from previous experience that fish can get startled in a dark tank and end up dead. I had a clownfish swim right into a nem and become breakfast a couple years ago.

So now I'm on the search for options for moon lights that will be as sleek as the Kessil itself. I like the idea of being able to dim the moonlight via the controller. So I'm not sure if there are any led strip lights that would have a 0-10v input that could adapted to work with an Apex?

Here are is one idea I found. These led rings are called "angel eyes" and are normally for modifying automobile headlights. But don't need them to be that bright all the time...infact it would be nice to use them as part of the dusk/dawn lighting to leave off where the Kessil stops at about 10%.

kessil moons zpsoe9oqzfa - Kessil Moonlight Options

kessil moons2 zpsmj45sjlg - Kessil Moonlight Options

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I have a little three light led moonlight from Pruess. It was only $20 and works great it has double sided tape to put on your led fixture.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Awww. I didn't know your fish are afraid of the dark!

I like the ring idea. But otherwise doesn't Neptune make a lunar LED?

Tom

Those rings are cool Jim! Any idea on where you picked them up and the cost?

I've been running tanks dark after 10 pm on the SPS tank once the LEDs go out. With three flow pumps and three LED tubes, there's enough stuff under the hood... no rooom for moons.

The 93 cube runs a single Kessel 360 with their controller, and it ramps down to the lowest level (7% i think) and eventually to dark.

Something like these rings might be cool.
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

p.s. maybe you can put the LED rings n one of those LED dimmers.... like the ones used for DIY speed control on the Jaebo pumps?
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I picked up a couple different ones. I haven't had a chance to put it all together yet. But the one that fits the best I got from ebay and had to wait a couple weeks for delivery since it came right from China. I will have an extra since it came in a two pack...but I better get mine going before I offer it up just in case I have a problem. I also picked one up from super bright leds but the size of that one is a little smaller (although it still fits on the bottom of the kessil 350/360).

I also purchased a dimmer intended for led strip lights that accepts a 0-10v input signal. So my plan is to connect it to the V3 port on my Apex to control intensity. I imagine these will also shut off at 10%...but hopefully will appear dimmer than the kessil's lowest setting.

I plan to get it setup in the next couple weeks. I'll be working on setting up my new tank too.
    Likes Tom@HaslettMI liked this post