[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

LED??

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default LED??

I use 2x Blue @460nm for my Lunars. 3hrs from 5pm till 8pm. What if any effect will these have on my corals?

I have an 8hr schedule with Whites @20%max and Blues@30%max by 1pm then ramp down and off at 5pm.

I don't wanna over do it
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I think it will mostly depend on the intensity they are being driven. But even if you were running them 100% at 1000mA and you wouldn't be over doing it... IMHO.

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

They ramp down from 20% I only use them cause I like the look Really I'd like to leave them on longer.

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

I doubt those have any real effect except for to your eye.

As for your mains, I would start ramping those up a bit. I was at 70% Blue 40% White for most of the day.

CR Member

I have found that giving the tank some total darkness at night promotes feeding response. I use to leave my moonlights on all night, and now I have them completely turn off at midnight. The room gets quite a bit of ambient sunlight, but the main lights don't come on until 10am. I have noticed a slight increase in growth that I chalk up to the increased feeding with total darkness.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Default LED??

@Poseidon I'm just afraid of burning my corals The unit is only 11 1/2" from the surface & 25" from the SB. Which is where everything is sitting ATM.

But I'll increase the intensity a bit

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Either the unit or I are going out the window I'm still struggling with finding the proper mix. I cannot figure out if it is the B or W that is causing this brown dusting on my SB & back wall. Or if it even is a light issue at all.
    Still cannot get color out of my Birds Nest. To much of what light would cause my red/green Favia & Candy Cane to have a dull washed out look? Which doesn't last as intensity changes-ugh!
    I'm really missing the simplicity of my old T5's <sigh>

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I suspect the algae is not being caused by the LEDs. It is more likely either water quality (could be a lack of a trace element or high nutrients) low flow, or lack of biodiversity. I probably sound like a broken record... but I think by starting your reef with dry rock and sand you don't have the necessary ingredients for a diverse and balanced reef.

A reef, in nature or a glass box, is about life. Individuals and species competing for resources. Without diversity those complex interactions don't happen and the few species present will dominate. I would recommend adding a couple pounds of cured but "full of life" live rock. That will seed the tank and with time become balanced.

Tom

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I added 2lbs of LR to my fuge. Not enough, or wrong place?

robandrosco - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob

Im with Tom on this one. Adding biodiversity in a reef is NEVER a bad thing. You could always ask a fellow reefer for a big cup of sand and trade a couple pieces of rock to him/her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last