[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

LED light coral issue

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default LED light coral issue

I just put up a 29 gallon tank 30"18"12" and cree XPG led 9 white 12 blue. Somehow none of my coral showing any sign of life and even the hardy mushroom like it use to. Im not using the lens on the led, and place the coral and mushrooms 12" to 6" from the light with glass cover in between, the light about 4" apart white/blue mix. Can some one tell me what i did wrong.

WillBattle - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Will
    Awards Photo of the Month

What do the corals look light? What types of light did you have on before you switched to the LED's? If you could post a pic it could be helpful!

CR Member

Same light setting with less led on a 14g nano like tank I have some polyps green mushroom and white pulsing xiena. Do I need to use the lens? It is not much distance where I place the coral now from the light

CR Member

I'll try send some pic tomorow

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

My guess is they are getting too much light. A lens will make it more intense right under the led because it focuses the light, so don't do that. Do you have a dimmer on your setup? If you don't have a dimmer, can you turn off the blues (or whites) so that only half of the leds are on?

Is the lighting the only change, or did you move to a new tank?

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

If you just set up the tank are you sure it's the lighting? If it was "just put up" it may be cycling or the corals simply still be settling into their new spots. It's also possible that one of the water parameters are off (salinity, temp, ect.)? Along with the pics please post some more details on water quality and how long the new tank is up and running.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom@HaslettMI; 03-13-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: grammar

CR Member

I got several pic but dont know how to load the img. still figuring it out
    Attached Images Attached Images  

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hueyq View Post
    I got several pic but dont know how to load the img. still figuring it out
    Here are a couple threads that will hopefully help:

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/si...et-tool-17586/

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/si...t-phone-19234/

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

It might be best to lower the coral to the bottom of the tank to allow it to acclimate to the leds's.it's a good idea regardless of what light your using to place corals in a low spot and let them acclimate to the new home.did you allow this tank to cycle before adding livestock?

CR Member

I just went to a couple pet store and ask them any oppions, they all sound like it's most probable cause is the water itself. I just have the tank setup over a week then transfer all the livestock and coral over. Havent have time to test the water at the store yet but I'll take binford instruction and start at lower level like 12" from the light without the led lens. Thnks for everyone inputs, but another question about the led. Anyone have a good idea what's the best setting for the 30g reef tank with 9white, 12 blue,XPG no lens. How far should the coral be from the light, the mushroom, and the xenia.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

and how long should i have the light on for the coral.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last