[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

LED selection

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default LED selection

After some consideration I have decided to order an out of the box LED unit instead of hanging a DIY over my rimless 125 gallon. I have the following units in mind.

1. AI Sol super blue unit. This unit would require the addition of a controller which I have already. I am a little concerned about needing to purchase an additonal bracket system as the cost of these should merit one being included.

2. Maxspect Mazzera P series. This unit can be purchased as a package system. The mounting rail can accept multiple units and is expandable. They incorporate 4 different types of LED's and use the new Cree XM-L lamps. The controller is included and it is wireless for all but one unit.

3. Ecotech Radion. Uses a more complete spectrum of RGB lighting to achieve what may be a more balanced and complete spectral field. Ecotech has a solid name and these are compatible with there battery back up system as well.

I think I would need three of the AI units, three of the Maxspect, and possibly 2 of the Ecotech units. I think cost is going to be comparable within a 150.00 each way on these. So for me it is about picking what is right for my tank and what I want to do. The tank is aquascaped with three smaller island configurations so no need for an across the board lighting scheme. I think having dimmer areas will be more dynamic for viewing in the case of this tank.

Any experieces with these products?? Please chime in
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I echo Chort55's comments. I have yet to see a Mazzera in action.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Radion all the way. Im using evolution leds now however I will be running radions soon. I seen there capabilities and them in action! Plus the storm mode and color options are insane!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

The radions are sharp for sure and the ability to synch with the power heads is a plus for sure.But the 750.00 price tag is painful.I use the AI SOL Super blues on both our tanks and have nothing but praise for them.The new AI phoneix will be out soon and will be wireless controled and have rbg also from what I have been told.They also will be moduale constructed insted of a chip which to me is a plus and allows you to easily upgrade in the future.Both systems or brands are leaders in the field and you really can't go wrong with either one.Just depends on what ya want to do now and what the future holds.Makeing sure the unit is dimable to me is the most critical then optic or reflector choices is next.AI does allow you to choose diffrent angles not sure about radion.Hope it helped and looking forward to seeing your build completed

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

I think I will start with two Radion units and add a third in a month when I can swing one more lol. The pumps being able to synch up to create storms and such is another attractive feature.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    After some consideration I have decided to order an out of the box LED unit instead of hanging a DIY over my rimless 125 gallon. I have the following units in mind.

1. AI Sol super blue unit. This unit would require the addition of a controller which I have already. I am a little concerned about needing to purchase an additonal bracket system as the cost of these should merit one being included.

2. Maxspect Mazzera P series. This unit can be purchased as a package system. The mounting rail can accept multiple units and is expandable. They incorporate 4 different types of LED's and use the new Cree XM-L lamps. The controller is included and it is wireless for all but one unit.

3. Ecotech Radion. Uses a more complete spectrum of RGB lighting to achieve what may be a more balanced and complete spectral field. Ecotech has a solid name and these are compatible with there battery back up system as well.

I think I would need three of the AI units, three of the Maxspect, and possibly 2 of the Ecotech units. I think cost is going to be comparable within a 150.00 each way on these. So for me it is about picking what is right for my tank and what I want to do. The tank is aquascaped with three smaller island configurations so no need for an across the board lighting scheme. I think having dimmer areas will be more dynamic for viewing in the case of this tank.

Any experieces with these products?? Please chime in
    where did ya find leds for 125 each and onlt need 3 for a 125

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

I would really like to see the Radion in person. I have seen the AI's, and they are certainly a good choice.

Maybe I if Todd puts together his "mixer" at Cherry Corals new shop, I'll get my chance.

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

The new AI phoenix sounds amazing.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

I just bought a Nano a couple weeks ago and I'm really impressed with it. I know you can build your own cheaper, but man oh man, for someone like me that sucks at electronics and soldering I said screw it and I'm in love with that thing. The vega is going to be insane.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last