[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

MP40 How reliable are they?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default MP40 How reliable are they?

I'm sick of these old giant Tunzes blocking light and taking up too much space in my tanks. But, they work all the time everytime. I don't have to replace anything on them and they don't die. I have the real old ones with the puck and metal control box. 6000 and 6100's. So...

I really like the small footprint of the wet side of the MP40, but I'm always reading about people having to replace different parts on their's.

Are these reliable?

Is there a specific model that is less reliable and prone to problems (year/model/etc.)?

Do they clatter in the tank? Tunzes are silent.

Are they worth the $465 and is there a place that's cheaper than Champion?

Thanks,
    tom
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

FWIW I've had my mp10ES running for almost a year with never an issue
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

I think anymore they are pretty reliable. I've had the MP10 in the past with no issues, and am probably going to get a couple of 40's within the next couple of months. They are noisier than the tunze IMO
    The price to my knowledge is pretty well set I think, maybe a better deal on a group/volume buy.

chuck
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

I've had an MP10es and an MP40W (used) for about 2 yrs now. I had replace a magnet on my MP10 but that was it. I think if you are good about regular cleaning / maintenance for them then you shouldn't have to replace parts on them often if at all. The space that you save with them is worth it IMO. That's just my two cents worth though.
    "The sea, once it casts its spell, will trap you in its nets of wonder forever"
    - Jacques Cousteau

jduck - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

Tom,
    I've only used the Tunzie 6025 and 6045. Had issues with the brackets breaking. I had an acrylic 90 that only had 10x12 openings one on each side. Running cords through those was a PITA.
    Switched over to MP40's and have been very happy with them. I did have 2 wetside magnets split on me over the last month. I believe that they both were original 1st generation. Talked to Ecotech support and had new Wetsides in a few days. I've been completely happy with their customer support there.
    I liked the mp40's so much I picked up a pair of used MP60's for my 240.
    I run 2 mp40's on my 60 gal frag tank, 2 mp60's & 2 mp40's on my 240g, all controlled wireless by Apex.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

As stated above the issues we're with the first generation. I also was tunez's fan. Still am but .... I switched to one vortech for starters to compare. Contest was over in five minutes. The amount of material that the wide flow brought up was shocking !! I now use only vortech's. the price is a little shocking but worth it. The gains far.outweigh the expense. They take very little space up to start with . The new controller allows you so many choices of flow patterns so you can really dial in your tanks needs. You can also synch the wireless ones together which is very nice. Ok that's my upsides of them.

Down sides,yes they will chatter at times. Easily fixed by twisting the wet side tell it quiets down Cleaning is not as easy as dropping in a bucket of vinegar water and let it run tell clean. You need to disassemble the wet side. I have spares to make it more efficant. If you do not use the hanging kit it will eventually fall off ! Then you have to go fishing for the wetside. Finally the cost !!

The best prices I got was from Tom at the fish doctors. He beat any online price I could find. I bought three MP 10's and three MP 40's and spare wetsides for each unit. So price was a factor!

I don't think you will regret the change honestly.

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

@Tom Toro ......how bout an update. Did you end up getting some Vortechs?

I just bought two MP40's and am looking for the best mode suggestions. I have a 6' tank so I was going to put one on each end and anti-sync them running "Reef Crest" mode. Sound good?

thanks...........chuck
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

I'm also looking at the MP40's. Would 2 be enough? Should I look at the MP60's?

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

I've been sold on them for a while myself. Great pumps, just keep the wetside clean. I wish I would not have sold the 2 MP40's I had before....

CR Member

I'm using 2 MP40's on my 6 foot tank right now, on Reef Crest, though I have the Reef Crest set to just a little less than half on intensity, simply because of the power they put out and the fact right now I have a lot of low/moderate flow coral. Almost feel as if I should've gone with 1 MP10 &1 MP40, but I'm glad I got them. They're great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last