[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

let's talk about T-5's....

Bookmark and Share
    MarvinsReef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default let's talk about T-5's....

I recently upgraded to all T'5 lighting for my 110g and yet to find the best 6 bulbs combo to showcase the dominant green, red, and orange colors of my corals & fishes... I've been hanging around this tfivetesting site for most of today and have been learning about different bulbs... anyway, can you guys hare your experience with your T-5 set up... what your bulb combo is, what you find the best to highlight different colors...

Thanks...

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Not sure how much I can help but I'll share my experiences. I run a three bulb set up and have yet to be 100% satisfied with bulb combos I've tried. My current setup is my favorite so far. It is the first time I've run two blues and one white and is set up front to back as follows; ATI Blue+, AquaScience Special 15K, ATI Blue+. The overall look is blueish, which = vibrant colors but still supplies good PAR. When the time comes to replace the AquaScience bulb I'll either go with either an ATI aquablue special or a GE 6500K. ATI if I want more blue or GE if I decide on less blue.

As far as what to use to highlight different colors... All I can say is ATI blue+ kick the cr*p out of CurrentUSA blues. I haven't tried any of the "purple" or deep red (ATI pro color) bulbs so I can't comment on those.

HTH and Good luck,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Not sure how much I can help but I'll share my experiences. I run a three bulb set up and have yet to be 100% satisfied with bulb combos I've tried. My current setup is my favorite so far. It is the first time I've run two blues and one white and is set up front to back as follows; ATI Blue+, AquaScience Special 15K, ATI Blue+. The overall look is blueish, which = vibrant colors but still supplies good PAR. When the time comes to replace the AquaScience bulb I'll either go with either an ATI aquablue special or a GE 6500K. ATI if I want more blue or GE if I decide on less blue.

As far as what to use to highlight different colors... All I can say is ATI blue+ kick the cr*p out of CurrentUSA blues. I haven't tried any of the "purple" or deep red (ATI pro color) bulbs so I can't comment on those.

HTH and Good luck,
    Tom
    sweet.. thanks for the feedback...

I really like the Geismann Pure actinic for a t5 that gets as close to VHO actinic as anything. Recently I tried a UVL 75/25 which is supposed to be in the 14k range. It does pull some of the reds and purples out. I really like it in combination with a Geismann actinic plus. The ATI blue plus seems to be one of the most popular bulbs around for bluish white light. I run 20k halides for my primary light so I only have 2 t5s running for supps. It doesn't give me alot of choices for broad spectrum combos.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Wish I could help, I made the jump straight from CF to HALIDES!! And I'm never taking a step back.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    I really like the Geismann Pure actinic for a t5 that gets as close to VHO actinic as anything. Recently I tried a UVL 75/25 which is supposed to be in the 14k range. It does pull some of the reds and purples out. I really like it in combination with a Geismann actinic plus. The ATI blue plus seems to be one of the most popular bulbs around for bluish white light. I run 20k halides for my primary light so I only have 2 t5s running for supps. It doesn't give me alot of choices for broad spectrum combos.
    Thanks bro for the input... I will be in the quest to find the best 6 bulb combo for my tank this winter....

Quote Originally Posted by jojo22 View Post
    Wish I could help, I made the jump straight from CF to HALIDES!! And I'm never taking a step back.
    cool.. np...

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I too have never ran all t-5's I have used them to supplement my MH lighting... but it seems that the main problem is just getting the right combination of lights.

My new set up I would really like to go with just t-5's just because of less power being ran and the heat is not near as bad as with MH. I will just have to lurk on these posts and take notes
    fulltankshot 1 - let's talk about T-5's....

Quote Originally Posted by graphixx View Post
    My new set up I would really like to go with just t-5's just because of less power being ran and the heat is not near as bad as with MH. I will just have to lurk on these posts and take notes
    that's one of the main reasons I decided to try out all T5's... and the flexibility of adjust colors with a bulb change or two...

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

I used to run this combo when my tank first went up. I selected the GE 65k for growth but found it to be too yellow for my liking.
    2 x 24W ATI Blue Plus T5HO
    1 x 24W 12000K ATI Aquablue Special T5HO
    1 x 24W 6500K GE Starcoat Daylight T5 HO
    1 x 24W UVL Super Actinic 420nm
    I then quickly changed out the 65k for another Blue Special.
    I have been extemely happy with this combo so far. Although, much like yourself Marvin, I am thinking of adding a KZ Fiji purple as I hear that the reds pop and pinks pop more.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys