[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Lighting Dilema?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    rickm - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default Lighting Dilema?

Years ago when I set up my 110 gl(very deep tank) I squeaked buy with putting in a VHO kit into my canopy.I can't remember how many lights I had but I knew I was pushing my luck with such a deep tank.
    Now that I'm starting over with a 55 gl and I see I have a few more choices than I had back then,I'm really at a loss as to which choice to go with.
    Things are on order and unfortunately back order and I need to think about lighting choices.
    I was all set to go with a complete fixture, the CoralLife PC 4 65 watt bulbs with 10000k and actinic03 plus moonlights for around 250.00 sounded good and fit my budget.I plan mostly soft corals and some LPS and maybe a clam. Now I'm reading that not many seem to like the PC lights.I'd like the MH combo fixture but at 650.00 I can't see spending that kind of money.I've also seen some T5 lighting fixtures at around 500.00.
    So to make a long story short I don't know what to get this time?
    Rick

Guido - Reefkeeper CR Member

Well, I'm going to be honest with you. I don't have much experience, or even have my tank setup yet for that matter, but, there is one thing i know. It's better to spend 700 now and know for sure you got the required lighting you could need for any kind of coral or life in your tank, instead of spending 250 now, and then finding out later on down the road you need a better type of lighting. I've been told it's better to spend the extra money up front (for the start up) then it is to just try to "squeek" by, because you will/might end up upgrading later on down the road and just spending more. I'll see if I can find some cheap lighting fixtures and post here that might be a good choice for a 55g. But, before you take my advice, wait for graphixx, or dakar or someone with a little more experience.
    Failure is for those who accept it.

Guido - Reefkeeper CR Member

Now I'm not completely sure if this would be sufficient lighting for what your looking for but it's 8x54w T5HO lights with lunar lights. It's about 475. Heres a link to check it out if you want. http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...ar.asp?CartId=

But if i was you, i would go with 2x250w + 2x54x for about 700. It might cost you more now, but could save you money in the long run. (thats the lighting I'm going with). Its fully assembled to. It's the aqua medic ocean light T5/MH combo series.

Hope this helps.
    Failure is for those who accept it.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Will ill say if it weir me id go with metal halide i run 2*175 works good for
    almost anything you wont to keep.
    You can build a canap
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Does your tank have a canopy (or will it)? If so being and being a big DIY nut, I'd suggest retro fitting, it can knock of a big chunk of change and get you right to halides.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#
    Quote Originally Posted by dakar
    Does your tank have a canopy (or will it)? If so being and being a big DIY nut, I'd suggest retro fitting, it can knock of a big chunk of change and get you right to halides.
    #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#aha FOR ONE TIME I GOT AHEAD OF YOU#ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF'; this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/7.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/7.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl# just had to do it i don't get to often#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

At least we were both on the same track...

Only thing I'd add is for a new install the cost difference between 175's and 250's is small if any. May open up more choices for bulbs too.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#
    Quote Originally Posted by dakar
    At least we were both on the same track... #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Only thing I'd add is for a new install the cost difference between 175's and 250's is small if any. May open up more choices for bulbs too.
    #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#And UPGRADING #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF'; this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/7.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/7.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com

The problem with a 55G tank is that they're so narrow front to back. To be honest, I think you could get away with an Icecap 4x54W retro with the Icecap 660 ballast. It overdrives the bulbs and is MEGA bright. I've got that running over one of my 120G tanks and it's almost TOO bright.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

zoo-a-holic - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with perpetual88, there isnt enough depth in the 55 gallons. What are you planning to have in the tank??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    120 Gallon Reef With Starfire Front, 2 overflows and 30 Gallon Sump. Mag 18 on the Return. Lit by Aqua Light Pro Deluxe. 2 250 Watt HQI Halides and 2 96 Watt PC Actinics all in one. ASM G-2 In-Sump Skimmer. 2.5 years in the making.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last