[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Lighting upgrade possible?

Bookmark and Share
    TJDeMars - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default Lighting upgrade possible?

I have a Corallife Aqualight Pro with 3-150watt HQI bulbs, and 4-96watt PC bulbs. A couple questions:

1. Can I replace the 150's with 250's?
    2. Will the ballasts fire them, they are the stock Corallife ballasts?
    3. Would I have to upgrade the ballasts?
    4. Who makes a good 14,000k bulb? I have seen the thread on the Coralvue Reeflux bulbs and they are quite impressive but do not seem to be widely available. Hamilton I thought made the better bulbs?
    5. Who makes the better actinic 03 PC bulbs. I'm not real impressed with theCorallife bulbs that came with the light.

Well that's quite a few questions. :D I should have gone with the 250's to begin with as my tank is 29" deep. If I can't upgrade the fixture that would be a bummer as a new light would be spendy.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TJDeMars View Post
    I have a Corallife Aqualight Pro with 3-150watt HQI bulbs, and 4-96watt PC bulbs. A couple questions:

1. Can I replace the 150's with 250's?
    sure but see #2

2. Will the ballasts fire them, they are the stock Corallife ballasts?
    Nope, need ballasts designed to for 250w bulbs

3. Would I have to upgrade the ballasts?
    see #3

4. Who makes a good 14,000k bulb? I have seen the thread on the Coralvue Reeflux bulbs and they are quite impressive but do not seem to be widely available. Hamilton I thought made the better bulbs?
    I'll leave for others to chime in, I'm partial to 6500K halides.

5. Who makes the better actinic 03 PC bulbs. I'm not real impressed with theCorallife bulbs that came with the light.
    I like the Sunpaq tubes, however there are two different colorings for actinic's, one that peaks at 420nm (the purplish color) and the other at 460nm (much more blue), mixing them can produce some really cool coloring results. Just something to consider, depending on your daylight bulb temps.

Well that's quite a few questions. :D I should have gone with the 250's to begin with as my tank is 29" deep. If I can't upgrade the fixture that would be a bummer as a new light would be spendy.
    Upgrades can be a never ending battle.... sometimes it pays to go big or just stay home, and others....just leave your wallet empty twice.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

TJDeMars - Reefkeeper Registered User

6500k Halides? wouldn't those be rather yellow?

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

i personally like the corallife reeflux 14000K bulbs. But as Dakar said, the ballasts will need to be upgraded also. you should check with Eric on the bulbs at www.myreefshop.com !!

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TJDeMars View Post
    6500k Halides? wouldn't those be rather yellow?

With Iwasaki bulbs, not quite but almost a touch of yellow, but when paired up with 460nm blue actinics the result is the brightest white.... I'll have to find some pics of our 180g when we had her going full bore.. 3x400w 6500K halides with 6x65w 460nm blue actinics... IMO the most closely matched lighting compared to natural sunlight for both spectrum and intensity (compared to sunlight at roughly 8-10 meters NSW)...

*end hijack
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.