[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

M59/H33 MH ballast

Bookmark and Share
    segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default M59/H33 MH ballast

http://www.hellolights.com/40magmagm59b.html

about to order a ballast (for a 400Watt 6500K Iwaski) and want to make sure that this ballast to get......

thanks
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Actually the 71A6001 is not an H33 ballast, it's an M59... meaning it will fire the Iwasaki (and any other probe start 400w halide bulb), but it will not yield the optimum performance from the saki. It will burn a bit more yellowish than if it were on a true H33 ballast. A copy of the datasheet for the 71A6001 is stored here.

Here is a thread listing the H33 ballasts by Advance by part number.
    Advance H33 Ballasts with copies of their datasheets as well. The H33's have a larger capacitor which fires the bulb harder (35uF instead of 24uF for the M59). The M59 will work but IMO you'll be a lot happier with the appearance of an H33, the bulb will burn a significantly brighter and whiter with the proper ballast.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

where can I get a true H33 ballast? the local stores only have the 71A4071 (the MV 400w H33 60hz 454w@120/207/240/277V) and they want $100 EACH....

where are you guys ordering yours (71A4001 MV 400w H33 60hz 454w@120V) from?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

eBay is where I have found them for as low as $20-35 each (though pay an extra $20 for each for shipping), but still works out to be a good deal..

I do have an extra Magnetek ballast, I need to verify the part number (which I have not done yet but will see if I blogged it or will get it this evening) if you are interested. Or I can see if the outlet I found my water proof Advance ballasts from still has any for you if you want to stay with Advance specificially. If so I'll drop you a PM with contact info.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

I don't care "what" ballast I use, as long as it is what I "should" use.....

are the ballasts I keep finding are multi voltage ballasts....does that matter?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

after reading this:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...omparison.html

it seems that the difference between the M59 and the H33 isn't really that big of a deal (most of the change seems to happen in the range covered by my 4, 65W 7100K compacts)....
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs