[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Metal Halide

Bookmark and Share

Default Metal Halide

Im looking to add metal halide to my tank besides my orbit light. I saw dakar DIY post and wondered why change to differnt ballast and change bulb? Also what is cheapest easy way to add to my tank.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Thanks#ed_op# br#ed_cl#Tom#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Couple of different routes you can go here, are you looking to change out your fixture for one with MH incorporated into it? That would likely be the more expensive route, on the other hand if you add a canopy you can do just about anything from hacking your fixture apart and using the parts in addition to a Retrofit MH kit, or just simply gathering the parts for a full DIY. Ballasts can be had for cheap with very little effort via eBay or other sources, the bulbs again depend on what you want. But the DIY route can save you a LOT of cash. How much light are you considering adding?

Building a canopy doesn't require much more than some rudimentary carpentry skills and a sheet of plywood. Build time depends on what you place more value on, functionality or aesthetics.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.