[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

MH lighting for 20g

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default MH lighting for 20g

I am looking at this light (24") for my new 20g... what do you think? I don't want to bake my tank, but I don't want to have too much of a limit on what I can keep in it.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113352

Comments are welcome and appreciated!

Looks like you'll bake it with those monsters. Those look more like 30g+ lights.

How about these?
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113352

150W (Instead of 280W) and then you can add the actenics. One or two w/e you want.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Thanks! I've never seen a blue MH before... have you used them?

The light I was looking at is 150w MH with 2 x 65w actinics. The blue MH is 150 w too. I'm assuming that any MH is going to have to be hung from the ceiling... could I hang it high enough to not bake the tank, or would I loose to much light penetration?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea472
    Thanks! I've never seen a blue MH before... have you used them?

The light I was looking at is 150w MH with 2 x 65w actinics. The blue MH is 150 w too. I'm assuming that any MH is going to have to be hung from the ceiling... could I hang it high enough to not bake the tank, or would I loose to much light penetration?
    I didnt read that (the 2x65W actinics part) I think then that will be fine, and about 6 inches above the tank would be fine. Someone will chime in if they think other wise, but for a 20 gal I think that should be ok.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

That's a nice fixture and a good price too.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I thank you will be fine with it you will wont to set it as high as possible to
    start. Maybe use some screen to accumulate to start
    We used to have a club member with a 400 over a 20 high he had
    it for a long time till he moved don't no if its still up.
    haven't heard from him for sometime.
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Thanks guys! The fixture comes with legs to mount it on the tank, and it also comes with a suspension system. If possible, I'd rather not hang it, but I will if I need to. I haven't found a site yet that tells how high the mounting legs are, but the PC lights I have now are made by the same company - the legs raise the fixture 2 1/4 inches above the tank frame.

What do you think about running the new fixture during the tank cycle to see if it gets too hot? Today I bought a digital thermometer/monitor that has low/high temp alarms on it...

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Get a 4'' are 6'' clip on fan to use if Temp gets too high
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I say give it a whirl.... If you ask me there is no such thing as too much light for a reef tank, just poor aclimation methods that cause problems. During the cycle you may see a tremendous algae bloom if you run them too long as nutrient levels will be quite high. But a couple three days to check temps should be okay, you can always run the tank dark for a week or so to rid the system of any algae for the rest of the cycle.

If I didn't think Angel would crown me, I'd change up the 3x400w for 3x1000w halides on the 180 :D
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Thanks guys for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by dakar
    If I didn't think Angel would crown me, I'd change up the 3x400w for 3x1000w halides on the 180 :D
    Aww, she wouldn't do that, would she?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last