[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

moon lighting

Bookmark and Share
    BeGiNeR - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default moon lighting

There has been alot of talk lately about moon lighting. I am very interested in this especially since the room my aquarium is in has absolutely no natural light and it is pitch black at night. I am not very handy so I am not sure I can build my own so I was looking at the ones that are being sold on coralreefsupply.com.

I am just looking to see if anyone has any opinion on them before I get them.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

DIY'ing your own or putting together one of the kits Fishez has really requires the ability to solder a little and stapling them into your canopy, hardest part is not burning your fingers :-D

Some folks use blue 'rope lights', If no canaopy you could be looking at something like this
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...Np=1&N=0&Nty=1
    but at $30 a pop they aren't cheap, there are several different types out there, even some submersable ones.

As a side note there is really no scientific proof (the I know of anyhows) that proves 100% they serve any beneficial purpose, but they sure look cool
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

BeGiNeR - Reefkeeper CR Member

I like the look ofthe lunar and/or moon lightseven if there is no scientific proof of their effects. Plus it would enable me to observe my fish at night. As it is now, oncethe lights go off I can't see them.

I do like those lights thaton liveaquaria.com; i like that they offer you to position them in many different areas. Most likely I will go with something like that do to my lack of skill. For me it would be easier (safer)to spend the money for something already assembled.

Thanks for the link.

EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Dakar, By blue rope lights do you mean like the Christmas rope lights with the LED's? If so i take it that we aren't concerned with any type of spectrum at night?

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Depends on what YOU want as it's mostly for aesthetics you are limited to your imagination (just keep safety in mind). But I've seen pics from folks using the xmas rope lights over thir tanks... but unlike focused LED's instead of a diffused spotlight effect it gives them a blue glow...
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thanks.