[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Oddysea PS 75 Skimmer Questions

Bookmark and Share

Default Oddysea PS 75 Skimmer Questions

I've cut and pasted from my last questions that I could not get answered so please read on down if you can help. Thanks,

First Post:

I have it all set up and it seems to be working. The bubble level is right near where the tube narrows- about an inch below where it would overflow into the collection cup.

First Question: Do I just leave the skimmer running all the time?

Second Question: Do I adjust it every so often to let the bubbles overflow? Or what?

Final Question: What does the protein skimmer actually remove? Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrates?

Thanks in Advance.

Dave

Only Answer:

Think you may find that your water level is a bit too high... time will tell, monitor the skimmer periodically, once it's 'broken in' you'll find the sweet spot where only dark crud gathers in the collection cup.

The skimmer works on a very basic principle, disolved organic compounds (DOC's) actually stick to the microbubbles in the skimmer, as the bubbles rise to the top of the reaction chamber some pop and they become more dense forming a foam still carrying the organics upward and with time into the collection cup.

The easiest way to look at it is it removes excess nutrients that would otherwise break down into Ammo, nitrites, and nitrates, or end up being consumed by growing algae cyanobacteria and other undesirables in your tank.

Tank Size(s): 180g, Lighting 3x400w Iwasaki, 6x65w PC actinic, 40g sump, 20g & 29g Refuge s.

Hobby Experience: Always just a sponge

Follow Up Question:

Do I leave the skimmer running all the time?

When you say water level, do you mean the top of the bubbles or do you mean the top of the water with the bubbles above it overflowing into the cup?

Also I have a UV Sterilizer. Should I run that too? It is a saltwater tank, one crab, one damsel, one clown. No live rock or reef or anything. I did buy the "live sand" that is supposed to speed the 1st cycle. Tank has been set up for about two months. One fatality... a big angelfish.

My ammonia, nitrite have stayed way safe. The nitrates run between 10 and 20ppm. -That's according to my test kit. I tested the regular tap water and it showed up as 20ppm so I'm not sure the test is accurate. I was hoping the skimmer would be able to lower the nitrates.

Thoughts?

Dave

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Yes let it run all the time. I am assuming he means where the water stops and the bubbles star as this is normally your water line.I would def run the UV 24/7 as well. Try using ro/di water instead of tap.
    If I can help any more feel free to pm me because I don't always remember what topics I posted on. So not to be rude if I don't post here again it's just that I forgot I was here so pm me.