[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Water movement in a reef

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Water movement in a reef

Water movemement in a reef tank is probably one of the most misunderstood aspects of reefkeeping.Seems many setting up tanks are worried about lighting and skimmers where water movement seems to get pushed on the backburner as a later "upgrade".You can grow corals with 4x40w NO flourescents useing $5 GE6500k bulbs in a tank with proper current and have a beautiful tank free of nuissance algae.On the flipside,a tank with poor water movement,an $800 DE MH lighting fixture and a $400 skimmer will endup with nuissance algae problems.
    Many talk about 30x or 40x for turnover rates and it means nothing in terms of the velocity/type of current a particular tank has.I have 43x turnover rate on my 40breeder.Some would suggest that turnover is adequate for a high flow,SPS(bad term)tank.I keep Faviids,Musiids,and Euphyllia spp. in what i consider a moderate current tank.
    Creating mass flow doesn't have to be too expensive.With the use of oversized plumbing to lower head pressure on return pumps,you can gain up to 25% more flow from your pumps.Dual oversized returns,closed loops,return manifolds,high gph powerheads like SEIOS are all good ways to move water and can be tweaked to achieve slower velocity.
    The last thing i'd like to meniton is having mutiple water outputs(returns,powerheads,etc..).You can have a 2000gph sump pump on a 55gal tank and if you only have dual returns,your going to have dead spots in the tank.I'd recommend at least 4 outputs for any tank 3' long or smaller.With 4' tanks,the minimum i'd use is 6.This is highly variable and is by no means a rule.Wider,deeper tanks will obviously need more outputs than shallow,narrow tanks.

good post and good info for all

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Dave i will totally go along with that one in my opinion its hard
    to get to much flow in a reef tank
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

david, good info ... i'm getting some good ideas for when i get my mag 7's ($15) and MH lights (2x250w $200). i had to throw the buying price in there to make you sick. lol

i have a 55g tank and i have about 3 powerheads on my tank 2 at the top and at the botten is that ok?

As long as you dont have dead spots(low to 0 water movement)in your tank,then your fine.Assuming you also have a sump return on your 55,that puts you at 4 total outputs for water movement which is usually fine on a narrow(12.5"Wide) tank such as a 55gal.

ok dave but i dont have a sump return.. and i dont know what that is can u help?

Sure spookey,drop me a PM when your ready and we'll get together in the chatroom and i'll walk you through building/designing your own DIY sump.

ok koo dave will do

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last