[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

need MH and PC ballasts

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default need MH and PC ballasts

I just ordered:

a pair of Iwaski 6500K 400Watt bulbs

and

4, 7100K (460nm) 65Watt PC bulbs

what ballasts should I run these off of? As I understand it, the MH "should" be run off a Mercury Vapor ballasts (right?), but what about the Power Compacts? I'm trying to stay away from the "IceCap" kind of/big $$$ ballasts and trying to stay with the DIY kind of ballasts.

Part numbers help.....

thanks guys
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Get you a pair of Advance H33(400wMV/Iwasaki)magnetic/core&coil ballasts.Check e-bay,they shouldn't cost much more than $35 a piece.For your PC's,a single Workorse 5 ballast should fire both PC's.It costs about the same.
    Check with Dakar too,he might have an extra 400w saki ballast lying around.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I'll need to dig up the part numbers I have for H33 ballasts.... I've got 3 of the waterproofed Advance H33's (these are employed at the moment) and 1 Magnatek H33 setting as a spare collecting dust... let me find you the part numbers and such and we can go from there. And Yup a single WH5 will fire a pair of 65W PC's, though at slightly reduced output, WH5 is rated @ 128w output (99.9% sure this is right, need to double check my memory), the 55 and 65w bulbs are pretty much the same thing, it depends on the ballast as far as their output.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

checked on the WH5 output and it is indeed 128W

COULD I:

run 2, 65W PCs (130W total) off of the higher output capacity WH7 (rated at 220W) or would that cause problems?

as I understand Fluorescent Ballasts, they can power anything UP TO their max rating.
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by segraves1
    checked on the WH5 output and it is indeed 128W

COULD I:

run 2, 65W PCs (130W total) off of the higher output capacity WH7 (rated at 220W) or would that cause problems?

as I understand Fluorescent Ballasts, they can power anything UP TO their max rating.
    Actually according to Fulham a WH5 will drive a pair of 65w... but a WH7 will drive them as well without doing any harm.

Here's a great reference page I wrote up for the bulb types and #'s for all of Fulham's fluorescent ballasts.
    http://www.captivereefing.com/showthread.php?t=2371
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Quote Originally Posted by dakar
    Actually according to Fulham a WH5 will drive a pair of 65w... but a WH7 will drive them as well without doing any harm.

Here's a great reference page I wrote up for the bulb types and #'s for all of Fulham's fluorescent ballasts.
    http://www.captivereefing.com/showthread.php?t=2371
    which one would be "better" to use?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

THe WH7 is rated at 220w.It would be able to fire another pair of PC's if you wanted to.Since your only gonna use 2 actinics,there's no reason to get the WH7 IMO unless you plan on useing it to fire 4 tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by davejnz
    THe WH7 is rated at 220w.It would be able to fire another pair of PC's if you wanted to.Since your only gonna use 2 actinics,there's no reason to get the WH7 IMO unless you plan on useing it to fire 4 tubes.
    I actually do want to run 4 tubes (I'm running a pair of 400W Iwasiks and 4, 7100K 65W PCs)......

but 65W * 4 = 260Watt? will that mean the bulbs won't output their max output?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

First Name
    Dave

The WH7 is only recommended to fire 3 x 65w PC's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last