[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Neptune WXM (Vortech Module)

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... Last
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Neptune WXM (Vortech Module)

My new toy arrived today...this has been on my wish list for more than a year.

Who all has one? Got any tips?

I manually updated the firmware on my MP-10ES and have the pump "attached" to the WXM, and the pump is now a slave to the WXM.

I have to say either the guy making the instructions that come with the WXM is color blind, or they changed the LED colors on newer MP-10 models. Virtually none of the color flashing combos were the same as listed in the manual. Mine was manufactured in March 2010.

Right now I am trying to figure out how to set up the profiles and Vortech outlet.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

It's been a long time since I installed and setup the WXM, but FWIW , here's what I use. Pretty simple, 2 tanks, same 2 profiles using Reefcrest and Pulse (standing wave.)

DT
    Fallback ReefCrst
    Set ReefCrst
    If Time 22:00 to 12:00 Then PulseDT
    If FeedD 030 Then OFF

FT
    Fallback ReefCstF
    Set ReefCstF
    If Time 22:00 to 12:00 Then Pulse
    If FeedD 030 Then OFF

The only difference between PulseDT and Pulse is the timing required to generate the wave in different size tanks.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I've got it working now. I'm just running pulse mode today. I want to somehow toggle the OSC command to use another mode in conjunction with the pulse mode. I'm thinking to manage that I may need to create a virtual outlet to function as a switch. So it would run say 45 minutes in pulse, then 45 minutes in tidal swell and so on.

I also have the feed and maintenance profile setup now, so it dials the flow back for a few minutes during a feed cycle.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Well here is how my program is shaping up...for now I have one MP-10:

VIRTUAL OUTLETS

Virtual Outlet: V-PUMP
    Fallback OFF
    OSC 000:00/015:00/060:00 Then ON

Virtual Outlet: Nite
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Sun -060/060 Then OFF

PROFILES

Profile: DayCres
    Vortech Type: Reef Crest
    Max Intensity: 70

Profile: NitCres
    Vortech Type: Reef Crest
    Max Intensity: 50

Profile: Pulse
    Vortech Type: Pulse
    On Time (Secs): 0.72
    Max Intensity: 60

Profile: Feed
    Vortech Type: Constant
    Max Intensity: 13

WXM OUTLETS

WXM Outlet: Vortech
    Fallback ON
    Set NitCres
    If Outlet V-PUMP = ON Then DayCres
    If Outlet V-PUMP = OFF Then Pulse
    If Outlet Nite = ON Then NitCres
    If FeedA 000 Then feed
    If Outlet Maint = ON Then OFF

So basically during the day (day mode), the vortech is in pulse mode for 1 hour then in 70%ReefCrest for 15 minutes, and this repeats. Then one hour before sunset the vortech is in night mode which is 50%ReefCrest until one hour after sunrise, at which point it goes back to day mode.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

And here I thought I was doing good with ES 2nd set or Lagoon-lol
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

One thing I noticed this morning with the different flow profile at night is the pH dipped lower than usual. As you can see from this graph, the pH dipped lower than normal. (The "V" shape from the night before was the result of me manually turning the lights on earlier than usual. The pH dip on the first day in the graph was from a water change.) I think the lowered pH makes sense as gas exchange is lower when the flow is lower in the tank...this builds up more CO2 and lowers pH.

ph nitcres - Neptune WXM (Vortech Module)

I'll have to keep an eye on pH and whether this seems to have a negative impact on the system. My thoughts for doing this initially was to make the tank a little quieter at night...that and just playing with WXM module. It may be interesting to try a lower flow during the day and higher at night to minimize the pH swings from day to night.

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Very interesting. I have never run a controller, but I do like how you are able to set night functions.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    One thing I noticed this morning with the different flow profile at night is the pH dipped lower than usual. As you can see from this graph, the pH dipped lower than normal. (The "V" shape from the night before was the result of me manually turning the lights on earlier than usual. The pH dip on the first day in the graph was from a water change.) I think the lowered pH makes sense as gas exchange is lower when the flow is lower in the tank...this builds up more CO2 and lowers pH.

ph nitcres - Neptune WXM (Vortech Module)

I'll have to keep an eye on pH and whether this seems to have a negative impact on the system. My thoughts for doing this initially was to make the tank a little quieter at night...that and just playing with WXM module. It may be interesting to try a lower flow during the day and higher at night to minimize the pH swings from day to night.
    That's quite a drop from just a 20% reduced in ReefCrest. I'd watch it for a few days to make sure it's from your pump profiles and not some other interaction (dosing change, ambient CO2 levels...). I do agree those are large diurnal swings and <~7.6 is not ideal.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

It's difficult to make generalizations because there are so many variables. For example my vortech is mounted half way down the tank and is aimed between some rocks. It might be that 20% reduction is more significant than if I had it closer to the top with more open placement.

I will post another graph later showing another change I made earlier in the week.

I am not routinely dosing this tank with anything. About the only thing I do is change water every few weeks.

CR Member

wat does the OSC do in the virtual outlet?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... Last