[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Neptune WXM (Vortech Module)

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I would suggest signing up for @RussM 's site: Reeftronics
    There are multiple benefits to signing up as a Reeftronics member, but it's not necessary to be a member to use the various tools I've written such as the program and profile reporter tool. Anyone can use the Reeftronics tools as long as the Apex is accessible from the Internet.
    Last edited by RussM; 02-25-2013 at 09:49 AM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    There are multiple benefits to signing up as a Reeftronics member, but it's not messeary to be a member to use the various tools I've written such as the program and profile reporter tool. Anyone and use the Reeftronics tools as long as the Apex is accessible from the Internet.
    Other nice member features however include text messages or emails whenever communications are lost to the controller...which can indicate a potential power outage.

CR Member
    First Name
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Other nice member features however include text messages or emails whenever communications are lost to the controller...which can indicate a potential power outage.
    Yep... the "lost communications" notifications are the least obvious, but IMO, the most important benefit.
    Likes jimsflies liked this post

CR Member

wow. bout to sign up now

pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

This is very helpful info. I am going to purchase (2) MP10's for my 90g and the module for my APEX. Jim anything I should know before I purchase? The MP10's come with the controllers correct? Anyway to get the MP10's without the controllers, I will not need them correct? How does the APEX Vortech Module sync more than one MP10? How does the battery back up work when using the APEX? Is it automatic backup or do you have to switch something? Say if I was on vacation when the power goes out?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by pinhigh1886 View Post
    This is very helpful info. I am going to purchase (2) MP10's for my 90g and the module for my APEX. Jim anything I should know before I purchase? The MP10's come with the controllers correct? Anyway to get the MP10's without the controllers, I will not need them correct? How does the APEX Vortech Module sync more than one MP10? How does the battery back up work when using the APEX? Is it automatic backup or do you have to switch something? Say if I was on vacation when the power goes out?
    Vortechs come with their "drivers"...and you will still need those. The communications electronics are in the drivers that interface with the Apex module. I think each WXM can control 11 vortechs.

The Apex can sense when the power is out, but since I don't have a backup power source on my apex, it wouldn't be able to communicate with the Vortech during a power outage. At one point I thought about putting the controller on a backup but never got around to it.

The Vortech backup battery is used to detect a power failure (it plugs directly into the wall to maintain its charge). When it senses no current coming in, it automatically goes into backup mode. In backup mode, the Vortech is automatically set to half its maximum speed on the dial and alternates between that and regular speed (I assume this is to allow for longer battery operation).

Here is a link to the "directions" for the backup:
    http://www.ecotechmarine-asia.com/su...ions_FINAL.pdf

I'm not sure that MP-10s will be enough for your 90 though.

To be honest, the WXM is pure gravy (not an essential component)....and if I were trying to watch my spending the battery backup would be a higher priority.

First Name
    John

Chris and I have been talking about what size I should get. I think (2) MP40's is too much and one might not be enough to prevent Dead Spots. I have and island rockscape and I keep the glass clean on all (4) sides. Do you think I could just do (1) MP40? I have (3) Hydor pumps now on a wave maker. (2) @ 750 and (1) @ 1450 and I still have one dead spot that I struggle with keeping stirred up!

I am a huge control freak so I will be getting the WXM module. Between that and the Director coming out for my AI's I will be able to control my whole system from my IPAD 1000's of miles away. Final step would be to get an Auto Water Change System

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

You can always turn a MP-40 down to a MP-10, but you can't turn a MP-10 up to a MP-40. I also feel that these pumps have a better longevity if they are not run full out. Keeping them back on their curve a bit...especially if you are going to run them in a pulse (wave) mode is a good idea IMO.

Buy one of each...that way when you realize the MP-10 isn't enough, I can get a good deal on a slightly used one so I can have two in my 29-BC. (I'll go easy on the "I told you so's" if get a good enough deal...)

Although you may decide to keep the MP-10 in addition to two MP-40's just to aim at that dead spot.

First Name
    John

Ha I see. So you think I need 2 MP40's? Man that's like $1000!!!!!!

CR Member

2 10's gives you more varying flow than the 40's. i have my 40's turned down to 25-40% all the time. while the 10's on the back of my tank go all the way up tp 70%

Page 3 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last