[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Bulb Recommendations

Bookmark and Share

Default New Bulb Recommendations

Hi all, this is my first post so bare with me...
    I'm currently a year into reefing and I LOVE it! However, since I'm still a newbie... one thing I'm still trying to grasp is the concept of lighting. I currently have running for lights a Deep Blue Solar Xtreme T5 HO Quad light system.
    the specs are: 48", 2x54watt Actinic Blues and 2x54watt 10,000k day lights, and 8 moonlight LEDS

So basically I'm due for bulb replacements I was wondering... if anyone had any recommendations for my 4 bulb light combination. I was thinking to get a 1-10,000K to keep coral growth, a 1-14,000K for better colars, and should I get 2 new actinics or blues? (not quite sure what the difference is)

I also read that ATI's are good brands, anyone else have any feed back?

My end result goal is I feel like my tank is getting too yellow, all my corals look washed out and or a browning color and would love my colors to pop a little more. I know the knew thing is getting the tank a "blue" look which I love, but I still don't want to compromise coral growth.

If anyone has any feedback that would be awesome, or good references for me to read up on!

Also attached a photo from Dec of my tankpicturephp?albumid380&amppictureid3420&ampthumb1 - New Bulb Recommendations picturephp?albumid380&amppictureid3420&ampthumb1 - New Bulb Recommendations

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

ATI most definitely!!! I personally like a more crisp look without to much blue. So I use the following combo....
    1x Aquablue special
    2x Blue plus
    1x Coral plus. Which is a 50/50 of the special and blue plus.

Great growth and beautiful colors. Taken with iPhone 4s
    7ymetymy - New Bulb Recommendations
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

thanks so much for the recommendation! does anyone know what ATI is such a great brand? what do their bulbs have that make them so much better.

I'll def check into this light combo!
    MizTanks- your tank looks awesome! I'm also trying to stay away from too much blue

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

Not sure what makes them so great but my acros have never been happier or more colorful since I started using ATI bulbs.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

ATI for sure. Look also into the KZ and UVL lamps. DD Geismann also has some good lamps but overall ATI is a bit stronger. Given that you have a 4 lamp configuration, you may want to play with the color a bit. Miz has a nice mix on her fixture and it seems to work well. I personally am not a fan of the aquablue special because, for me, it seems to wash colors out just a bit.

You could try 3 blue + and one coral + and have very good color as well as growth. I prefer the coral + over the aqua blue special. It may be good to search around and look at the specs on various lamps, too. Then, buy a few extra and mix them up, play with their location, and see which you prefer.

Thanks for the idea Creefer- wouldn't hurt to have extra bulbs and play around with diff combo!