[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Nano setup

Bookmark and Share

Default New Nano setup

Hello,

After toying with my 92 gallon for about a year now, I really wanted to setup a reef tank, since my 92g is FOWLR. Due to cost constraints, I didn't want to purcahse all new lighting for my current tank so I've decided to purchase an aquapod 12g. I think it's nice that they come with the filter chambers, lighting and everything you need to get it setup (besides powerhead,lr etc)

Here is what i've spec'd out so far:

-12g aquapod
    -stand for tank
    -mj 1200 powerhead (should I get one or two? I thought at first only one, but not sure)
    - argamax sand
    - chemipure for one of the filter chambers
    - 10-15 lbs. of LR from my LFS (he cures the LR before selling it)

Once i get it cycled, I was going to put in a mated pair of perc's along with some nems, skunk cleaner shrimp, perhaps some zoos and not sure what other type of softies, havent done much research as to what will get along with each other.

Anything else you think I need? I might be forgetting something. not sure..

I'm excited to get all the stuff together =)

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

a nano protien skimmer !! with softies, IMO you will NEED it. they do this thing (can't remember what it is called), but the y release chemicals when they feel threatened by another coral. aggressive skimming keeps this to a minimum. i know what this is called (scientific name), why can't i think of it ?? lol

ok, here is one I found at aquariumguys.com:
    http://www.aquariumguys.com/fissionskimmer.html

I assume that this sits inside the tank? if so, is it still possible to close the hood?

Also, should I just go with one powerhead? or is it necessary to have two?

thanks!

First Name
    Bobby

this was taken from the link you gave ...
    Skimmer Installation:
    The skimmer can be placed either directly into an aquarium or into a small filtration part of the aquarium. Please note that the skimmer works best inside a filter box as further filtration can be used to reduce micro bubbles.
    After choosing a location for the skimmer, attach the pump to the skimmer. Two 90 degree elbows are included to allow the pump to be mounted in multiple locations for better fitting.
    Secure pump and skimmer securely into tank using mounting suction cups provided. As an alternative, a mounting clip is also included for clipping the skimmer to internal filter walls.
    Ensure that the air supply line is attached up out of the water. Air must be able to flow freely into the pump intake in order for proper operation.

as for the PH's, in a 12 gallon tank, i would go with 1 MJ1200 for now. if the need arises you can always add the other. the reason i say this is because they are really only going to be used for flow. depending on what you plan on keeping ... you may need more, but the odds of needing more flow than the filter AND the PH is not likely. with a 295gph MJ1200 yoyu will be turning the tank over at 24.583 times per hour, that is pretty good. but as i said before, it really depends on what you will be keeping in the tank.

excellent tips bobby!

I am excited about setting it up, i'm going to start purchasing the pieces this week. Probably the tank, PH and skimmer first, then continue on from there.

cheers!

First Name
    Bobby

this is the EXACT reason i hang out here !! the chance to give back to the site that i have LEARNED so much from. just give a shout if you need anyting else.

thanks man!

Like I said, I really want to start playing with softies and the such, The large tank I have now is fun, but it is running so well that I don't have to do much with it. Another tank would be ideal, and since I'm not filthy rich (yet) I decided to start with a nano.

Hopefully I don't kill too many things

Just FYI... I purchased the Fission Nano Skimmer for my regular 10 gallon tank, and it did not work well at all for me. I called Current (the manufacturer). They told me that it was designed specifically to fit in the nano cubes, so you should be just fine with it!

Let me throw another powerhead idea at you... if you don't mind having a second PH in the tank, you could go with 2 MJ 900's from the start and get great flow... even pointing them towards one another for some cross action!