[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Vortech MP-40

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Default New Vortech MP-40

Well... Pretty disappointing my first experience with Vortech MP40. As you have read here I finally bit the bullet and decided to buy a new MP40 and WXM Module. I received them last night and after getting all of the kids in bed started setting up. I was so pumped to see it in action (no pun intended). I followed the instructions to the "T" and got the pump mounted and running in the tank. It defaults to steady mode so I just played with the flow and was really impressed by the power and flow in my tank. The MP40 had replaced (2) Koralia pumps and was blowing them out of the water (again no pun intended). I decided to set it to Reef Crest mode and leave it there while I set up the WXM Module. I set the flow to about 50% and was facinated to see the pump in action. I decided to turn up the % and just watch what this thing could do. Well... As I turned the pump up past 70% it "Stalled". The light was blinking Green,Red,Green, Red. So I get online and read that this means it "Stalled" It says check the Wet Side first which I did and everything was perfect. It said run the Dry Side by itself so I did and got the same error. This led me to believe the Dry Side is the problem. Needless to say I spent the next 4 hours trying to get it to run. Nothing!!!! Of course customer service is only open Monday - Friday when I am at work. I am calling today. The only thing that will keep me from going nuts will be if they say "We'll overnight you a new one for Saturday morning delivery". We'll see!!!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I moved your post to a new thread.

Are you running it with the WXM? I would disconnect from that and see how it runs on its own to be sure it is the dry side (although I agree sounds like the dry side).

Have you tried different increments on the spacer/shim to see if it makes a difference.

Here is a link to the full manual...they don't include it with the pump:
    http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/...evision1.2.pdf

It may be worthwhile to skim through that for more info.

First Name
    John

Hey Jim thanks for the info. Yeah I researched for hours last night and this seems to be a pretty common problem over the years. I tried every tip I could find online. The Wet Side seems perfect. It is definitely the Dry Side. I am at work right now waiting for CS to open. I tried the Dry Side again just now and when I plug it in the motor starts for a second or two and then stalls. It then tries one more time and stalls. So frustrated I had taken all of the other pumps out which wasn't easy as you know cords are everywhere no matter how hard you try to organize them. So at midnight I was re installing them back in. I did plug in the WXM Module and everything synced. So at least one thing went right! LOL my wife just texted me and said "you were so mad last night", "you threatened to throw that pump out into the front yard".

First Name
    John

Update! I contacted CS and they said that they have made major improvements in the last (3) months to the MP10, MP40, and MP60 units so they are very surprised that one manufactured in January this year is already having a problem with the Dry Side. He said he would just send a whole new unit. He said middle of next week I should have it. I asked if he could expedite it? After talking to a manager he upgraded it to 2 day shipping and said I will have it Monday. Not bad!! I am way to impatient to wait 5 more days!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Cool.

I wonder what they changed/improved with their pumps?

First Name
    John

No idea! It sounded more like internal workings to make them more fail safe so we will probably never know exactly. He did say it was over the last few months though!

First Name
    John

I agree! For this kind of $$ they should be putting every unit through more stringent testing. maybe they did but it only took 10 minutes for mine to break and then when I researched MP40 stalling online I found all kinds of people who had the same problem. They are giving me a new one and I understand you are going to get the occational lemon but they should have said, You know what, we are going to pay the $30 and overnight it to you so you have it first thing tomorrow.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Yeah...it feels like a premium price for those. But my guess is, the margins start to get tight with all the costs involved. Where did you order it from?

First Name
    John

Wow! Another part of this story!! So I used my last plug spot in my APEX controller for the MP40 last night and I used my IPAD to turn on that Outlet. I must have inadvertently turned my Ca doser from auto to "ON" So from my calcultions i dumped 957ml of Ca into the tank over the last 14.5 hours!! I just checked my live feed and no "Snow" in the tank. Fish and Corals seem fine? PH still at 8.1? I haven't done the math yet but I was at around 450 so maybe I am OK? Any thoughts?

Oh yeah! Any code I can add to me dosers to prevent it from happening again. Something that might tell it to fallback off if on longer than 30 minutes?
    Last edited by pinhigh1886; 03-08-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Add question!

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Ecotech CS is pretty outstanding. They do what they tell you they're going to do. I've had 2 wet side replacements, both under warranty for the same failure, on my MP10 and they were great to deal with. Replacements arrived in 2-3 days of the call.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last