[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Vortech MP-40

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

I am still holding out hope that this pump is the best ever so I feel better but yeah right now not happy! How long did Andy say it would take to get you one?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!! I would definitely be making a phone call, and point out that your a member of several large forums, (even if your not) places don't like to know their image could be easily tarnished quickly via the lovely ol social media. A video of their brand new pumps failure so quickly could easily create a wave of well guess I am going to buy a tunze instead.... who wants to drop nearly $500 to have to wait to hopefully get one that works all while being lied too, I know I don't.

I know your problems are making me wish I would have just bought coral instead of ordering one the other day
    This is all true except that Tunze is only comparable in price. The performance isn't in the same league not to mention Tunze quality has slipped in recent years in my opinion. It is unfortunate that this happened but once the new pump is in and operating the corals will remind JD why he bought a Vortech. Nothing else compares. Just another reminder that nothing good happens fast in this hobby. I have 2 MP40s that have been running in my home tanks for a few years now. I wouldn't buy anything else.

First Name
    John

I know they are the best I just can't wait to see it! They emailed me back this morning and said their policy is always Ground Shipment and he sent it 2 day. The only thing is I think he forget to check the 2 day box because according to Fed-Ex it was shipped ground. I'll quit *****ing I promise

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I totally agree, and have heard the same thing about Tunze slipping as well lately, which was why I decided to actually break down and get a vortech as well. But as far as the reminder that nothing good happens fast in this hobby, someone should remind them that for the price something should happen when it plugs in LOL.
    While this is true Vortechs are sophisticated pieces of equipment manufactured in high volume. The tolerances are tight and a certain fail rate is to be expected. I know of no manufacturer that produces 100% flawless product 100% of the time with zero fail rate. That said I have had several MP40s running at the store flawlessly for over 2 years. One of them is the old style gen 1 which is at least 4 years old. I also have 2 at home running even longer. You never see a thread that say " My x piece of equipment has been working perfectly for years. However everyone wants to pile on when a product fails. The bottom line is that there is no other option on the market that does what Vortechs do at any price.

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

Wow...can always find a way to bash TUNZE. I have 2 of the new 6085 Tunzes and I have not seen any sign of diminished quality. So as an owner of both brands (2 MP40's) I will say that Ecotech does have a smaller footprint in the tank, they both move a lot of water and the Ecotech is a lot louder. I have always heard that Ecotech's CS was very good, until now. I can't speak to Tunze's CS......I never needed it.

chuck
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default New Vortech MP-40

It seems to me that ecotech has done okay here. Most manufactures would tell you to return it to place of purchase for an exchange when it's that new. But instead if giving you the run around, they sent out another pump before requiring the original to be returned ( again many companies would not do that).

I think the fact the problem spanned the weekend has made it seem longer. Your still only a few days from problem to (hopefully) resolution. Like Andy said "nothing good happens fast in a reef tank". Once you're all setup, this will be a non-issue.

While you have two pumps, you should see how they work together for a few minutes (assuming the other one will work for a few before stopping). Might be a good indicator of whether you'll want two or not.

First Name
    John

I am sure they are a good company and I agree that it was nice for them to just take care of it from their end. I guess it just really got to me because it took me forever to bite the bullet on the $500 price tag. Then when I get it, it works for 10 minutes, and quits. Promised "(2) day" for new one and I get "Ground"! They responded to my email today and seemed really sorry but that there was nothing they could do about it now. I am used to shipping products to auto companies. If we send a bad part all heck breaks loose, our quality rating drops, and its hard to get the good rating back. We bend over backwards to make it right or we don't get anymore work. They do have the best pump out there that I can tell and no competition. It reminds me of Comcast Cable. LOL. I am really not trying to bash them as I am sure I will being buying more from them. I just wanted others to see my experience and let off a little steam. Good stuff doesn't happen fast but the bad stuff sure does!
    Last edited by pinhigh1886; 03-12-2013 at 07:07 AM.
    Likes N/A liked this post

thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

I've heard too much about how good Ecotech Marine's customer service is to tempt me into an MP40. I had an MP10 on the 55 but I got rid of it due to the noise.
    I now use TUNZEs and am very happy, although I do miss the random mode alot.

First Name
    John

So it's the end of this MP40 saga but not without one last intense moment. So I got the new pump installed last night and the Control Knob would not work to increase intensity. I tried to reset and that didn't work. I finally realized that the Knob would keep going in both directions so I pulled it off and realized it wasn't pushed on all the way. Lined it up and pushed it down and it worked fine. Made a few modifications to a program Jim gave me and it's working great!

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3