[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New water pump ?'s

Bookmark and Share
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default New water pump ?'s

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I bought a new pump for my tank. I have never used an inline pump before. How do I get it all connected? It will replace my powerheads and my mag 9.5 I have in my sump. This new pump will pump 7400 gph If I use a ball valve to restrict the flow, will it harm the pump at all?I would like to get a lot more flow in the tank, but I don't want to over do it. The only reason I went with such a large pump is so I don't have to buy another when I finally get all of the equipment together for the new tank. Can someone explain how to get this pump hooked up and running? Will I have to drill a hole in my sump? Can I just use PVC and go up and over the side of the sump into the water? I'm not too worried about loosing water pressure or whatever, I have more than enough for that. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks in Advance,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Angie#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

First,what kind of pump is it?Since its an external pump,it should be used for a closed loop,you do not want that kind of flow going through your sump.I am almost finished with nmy 75 project log that'll be useing a closed loop/inline pump,here's the link

http://www.captivereefing.com/viewtopic.php?t=1034

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

It is a wave II 1/3 HP with the saltwater seal. The rating is 7140 gph @ 4 ft head. Sorry about the typo in the above post. (not 7400 gph) I'm not sure about drilling my tank. It is a fully stocked 125. How would I go about getting it drilled? I don't think I can get it drilled anywhere around here. I live North of Wisconsin Dells. Plus I would have to empty it. I doubt I can do that. I'm not too sure about drilling it myself even if I emptu it 1/2 way. Just a little to risky for me. I don't want to wreck the 125 tank since I plan to ude it as my sump for my new tank when I get it.

Angie
    Seahorse Slave!!!

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Instead of drilling,you could do an over the top closed loop.7140gph w/4' head is alot of flow,just did a search on it,that thing is a beast.It has a 2" intake/output.There's no way you can get that kind of flow through your sump.You will need 2-2" PVC intakes that will hang over and into your tank.These will need to be screened off so your critters dont get sucked in.The PVC intake will get joined together behind the tank with a T fitting,from there you will plumb down to your pump.Just before the pump,install a ball valve then a union so you can remove the pump for cleaning.On the output side,start your plumbing upwards with a union then another ball valve,continue to plumb it upwards to the top of the tank where you will add a T fitting.From the T,you will need to make a water return manifold.Its just a PVC loop that gloes around the perimeter of your tank that has PVC T's installed in the "loop" that are used as water outputs.I'd go with 7-9 outputs(PVC T's) on your loop(return manifold).This PVC loop will be joined back at the T fitting that you plumbed up from the pump.

For some pics,check out Dakar's nano thread so you can get a basic idea of the return manifold thing

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Wow that's a MONSTER pump! I agree with David, an over the top closed loop will do very well indeed, that will create some fantastic flow!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.