[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New XM lamps

Bookmark and Share
    Reefmaniac1 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default New XM lamps

XM has just released a new, 175 watt lamp: 15,000 K. I think these might be the replacements for my current 10,000 K lamps. :D
    My reef keeps me (in)sane...I wouldn\'t have it any other way.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sweeet!!! That sounds like a venture I will soon be trying.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I just ordered a par of Hamilton 10K i like the crisp White of them with the VHO Act.
    And as i get most of my coral as frags i fill you get a little better growth with
    10K over the 15 or 20K.
    Ar maybe I'm wrong don't no for sheer.? just my interpretation of personal experience and whit iv read.
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Quote Originally Posted by Reptoreef
    Sweeet!!! That sounds like a venture I will soon be trying.
    Yep...these are the replacements!

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

Good luck. I've heard that their double ended bulbs are nice.

I've gone through 2 sets of the single ended 175's and hated them...as did my corals etc. Lost color, lost coral, gained a ton of nice fuzzy green alga!!!

I'm back to the 2X175W Ushio and 2X90W URI super actinics.

Dave
    ><((((

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Aww that sucks... my XM's are the bomb(175 watt 10k's). I will definitely be giving the 15k's some serious thought come time to change the halides. As for the DE, XM 250's aren't getting great reviews on PAR. I really dig the 250 20k ABDE I run on the mag ballast!!!
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Quote Originally Posted by JustDavidP
    Good luck. I've heard that their double ended bulbs are nice.

I've gone through 2 sets of the single ended 175's and hated them...as did my corals etc. Lost color, lost coral, gained a ton of nice fuzzy green alga!!!

I'm back to the 2X175W Ushio and 2X90W URI super actinics.

Dave
    Other than the bad lamps that they had last year, you are the first person that I've seen that is that disappointed with the XM lamps. I like mine, but they aren't as "white" as I thought they'd be. That's why I will try out the 15,000 Ks.

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

White is right....that was my problem with the bulbs.

I had been using Ushio's mixed with the URI Super Actinic R's and my reef was "right on". When the Ushio's got old (2nd set) I was suffering from an infliction called "Funds-a-low". I had an opportunity to get two XM's for the same price I'd pay for a single Ushio. How could you NOT jump on that. I installed them and noticed right away that they were on the yellow/green side of the spectrum. I figured maybe the actinics needed replacing too. I did that...but ... still yellowish. Hard on my eyes, but I figured, what the heck, lets try them. Within weeks, I started getting an algae breakout. Both green and some cyano. My purple rimmed monti cap lost it's purple rim. My Larry Jackson purple tipped monstor coral started turning all green. I had to do something.

So, I talked to some folks who said if you like blue...try the Corallife. I did. Okay bulb; corals colored up nicely again, but they, matched with the URI VHO's made things way too blue. I didn't like the look at all, and it made photography of my reef MISERABLE. Everything was awash in blue, not matter how I futzed with the white balance.

Soooo... I ordered two new Ushio's, hooked em up, and BAM.. crisp white with the accents of blue and purple from the VHO's and yeah boy... the corals responded very nicely. Keep in mind that I am INFESTED with red bugs. However, in the time I've had the Ushio's on, I've noticed extrodinary calcification with my corals. Polyp extension still sucks, but the darned things are growing.

I have no doubts that when I finish the bug treatments, coupled with my new lights, a funtioning fuge, that my reef is going to pop.

For what it's worth, I am going to use an XM over my seahorse tank. It will be a "green tank" with no coral, but LR, grasses, and macro. The yellow green should really provide the right spectrum for that application.

The Corallife bulbs, probably fine with pendant application without actinics, will be used on my new 40 gallon breeder growout system that I will be cutting into the fish room as soon as I'm done treating for the bugs.

I'm sure that my preference has to do with my lighting configuration, preferences, and the historical husbandry of MY corals. Most just "don't like change" after growing in stable conditions. I've heard lots of folks rave about the XMs, especially those that are DE and those above the 10K range. I'm glad that they work for those folks because they are an economical option that works for anyone's wallet. Maybe one day, in my newer system I'll try them again, but right now, my One Particular Harbor digs the Ushio experience.

D
    ><((((