[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

No more tap water for me

Bookmark and Share
    Jstadler - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Default No more tap water for me

c6e4e2ac 9a65 5667 - No more tap water for mec6e4e2ac 9a73 e689 - No more tap water for meThats right I finally bit the bullet and got myself and RO unit. Brand spanking new BRS 5 stage unit, this thing is great. Hopefully this will help me in my small battle with Cyano and Algae outbreaks. The tank officially gets better water than my family now.
    Last edited by Jstadler; 05-27-2011 at 07:35 AM.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

RO/DI is the best thing you can do for your reef!
    Water is the single largest ingredient in a reef system by far so provide only the best.
    Its cheap insurance.

cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

Sometimes it's easier to thinking of the reefkeeping / aquarium hobby as one in which we keep water. The better you are keeping your water stable the better your inhabitants do within the aquarium. Just a different way of looking at it I guess.
    "The sea, once it casts its spell, will trap you in its nets of wonder forever"
    - Jacques Cousteau

CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

What is the first filter? With the blue lines? I have a 5 stage but it is with a deionizing filter and not the "prefilter" or what ever you have on yours.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Left to right his is sediment of prefilter, carbon block, useless second carbon block, RO membrane on top then DI filter on the right.

Two carbons are not needed if you use a good prefilter and 0.5 or 0.6 micron carbon block. you could easily eliminate the second unneeded carbon or better yet replumb it into a second DI chamber for the most bang for your buck.

Forget the word "stages" even exist and concentrate on what the stages contain and not how many of them there are. A good reef quality system consists or 4 "stages". A 1 micron or less prefilter and absolute rated is better than nominal rated with 0.5 microns being preferred, a single 0.6 micron 20,000 gallon carbon block, a 75 GPD Dow or 100 GPD GE RO membrane and a vertical 20 oz refillable DI. Thats all you need unless you have special conditions where maybe a dual DI might be warranted such as chloramines or CO2.

First Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy View Post
    What is the first filter? With the blue lines? I have a 5 stage but it is with a deionizing filter and not the "prefilter" or what ever you have on yours.
    The first is a sediment filter second and third are carbon blocks, the membrane and Di. It dosen't have blue lines in real life those are just the raised spots for the canister wrench to grab.

Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jstadler View Post
    The tank officially gets better water than my family now.
    If you get a storage bladder tank and tee off before DI, you can get your family some ro water. It does taste pretty good. And cheaper than buying bottled water. Plus with a bladder tank you can get a gallon or 2 of water quickly. Go thru RO then t into bladder tank. then tee off drinking water then go thru DI. DI water taste yucky because DT removes the "junk" that gives water it's taste.

First Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    If you get a storage bladder tank and tee off before DI, you can get your family some ro water. It does taste pretty good. And cheaper than buying bottled water. Plus with a bladder tank you can get a gallon or 2 of water quickly. Go thru RO then t into bladder tank. then tee off drinking water then go thru DI. DI water taste yucky because DT removes the "junk" that gives water it's taste.
    Yea I know, they prefer their "natural spring water" better anyway. Good for them, more for the fishes.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jstadler View Post
    c6e4e2ac 9a65 5667 - No more tap water for mec6e4e2ac 9a73 e689 - No more tap water for meThats right I finally bit the bullet and got myself and RO unit. Brand spanking new BRS 5 stage unit, this thing is great. Hopefully this will help me in my small battle with Cyano and Algae outbreaks. The tank officially gets better water than my family now.
    Haha yeah and really test the tds on your tap water, its sad sometimes we give our fish better water then our kids, but the kids are less sinsitive to it Or at least thats what I tell myself!

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

DO NOT feed your DI with pressurized RO water from a bladder tank or drinking water system. Pressure or bladder tanks suffer from TDS creep and will exhaust DI resin quickly. You should always install a check valve so the DI is fed directly from the RO membrane, yes its slower but it is much more pure since it does not suffer the effects of TDS creep.