[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Par 38 Lamps

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

Default Par 38 Lamps

I am throwing around the idea of lighting my new tank with your LED lamps.

The tank will be 36x24x18 and house mostly SPS. How many lamps would I need?

evilc66 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would say at a minimum 6, and they would be staggered front to back as they went along the length of the tank. That is so that you get better front to back coverage. I'm running 4 on my 40B (36x18x16) with 40 degree optics, and it barely covers the tank front to back. With the extra 6" of width that you have, you need a few more. If you keep everything on tracks, you can add or change the setup as you need. You may find that 6 isn't enough for what you need.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

What if you changed the optics? Would that cut down on PAR? And if so how drastic would the drop be?
    I love learning!

Increased coverage from a wider angle will always decrease PAR. The severity of that change will depend on how drastic of an angle change you do.

Where can you find more info and/pr purchase the PAR 38 lamps?

btw, the RC police are really delete happy Evil. They are a bit zealous on you. Geez... You must be encroaching on Grim Reefer's turf.
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by pjr View Post

btw, the RC police are really delete happy Evil. They are a bit zealous on you. Geez... You must be encroaching on Grim Reefer's turf.
    That why WE gave the evil mad light scientist his own forum! Light it up Evil!!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Quote Originally Posted by pjr View Post

I got three infractions for the stupidest crap in less than a week. The last one was for saying I wasn't going to be able to post on that thread any more! Apparently I'm one point away from getting punted. No big loss IMO.

Anyway, on to the info:

These can be purchased at Nanotuners/Nanocustoms (same company for those that are confused by this). We have a sponsorship in place, but my boss hasn't sent over the banner yet, which is why you don't see us in the sponsor section.

Here is a quick rundown of the features:

• E26/27 medium base socket (same as all household lamps)
    • 90-240v AC input for worldwide use without converters
    • Cree XR-E series LEDs
    • Very efficient heastsink
    • '12K', '20K', all blue, and all red color options available (new '20K' color temp coming soon too)
    • All lamps available with 40 degree (standard), 60 degree or 80 degree optics
    • High PAR levels with low power consumption

PAR levels are high, but can be tailored to the needs of the tank with different optics and height of the lamp above the tank. Here are some PAR plots that were taken on the 12K lamp. The 20K plots are the same, as color temperature doesn't affect PAR levels like it does with other light sources.

14in40deg - Par 38 Lamps
    14", 40 degree

20in40deg - Par 38 Lamps
    20", 40 degree

30in40deg - Par 38 Lamps
    30", 40 degree

14in60deg - Par 38 Lamps
    14", 60 degree

20in60deg - Par 38 Lamps
    20", 60 degree

30in60deg - Par 38 Lamps
    30", 60 degree

14in80deg - Par 38 Lamps
    14", 80 degree

20in80deg - Par 38 Lamps
    20", 80 degree

30in80deg - Par 38 Lamps
    30", 80 degree

Now, these numbers are taken in open air, so expect to see about a 10-20% increase in PAR from focusing of surface agitation and internal tank reflection.\

I'll post some more pictures of the lamps when I have access to my Photobucket account (blocked at work).

koralkrab125 - Reefkeeper CR Member

i am interested in led since i need an upgrade, i have heard a lot about you making led setups for people but havnt ever seen any pics of them, that would be nice. i might be interested in getting a led setup made

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by koralkrab125 View Post
    i am interested in led since i need an upgrade, i have heard a lot about you making led setups for people but havnt ever seen any pics of them, that would be nice. i might be interested in getting a led setup made
    Evil has his very own forum in the "Discussion with the Experts" area "Ask Evil" there you should be able to find tons of great info including some killer pics by the man himself!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Quote Originally Posted by evilc66 View Post
    I got three infractions for the stupidest crap in less than a week. The last one was for saying I wasn't going to be able to post on that thread any more! Apparently I'm one point away from getting punted. No big loss IMO...
    There is no ability to discuss and reason with the vast majority of RC mods. Mucho and wolverine are reasonable guys, but every RC mod that i have interacted with are off the hook to the other extreme. Best to say OK and move on before the guerrilla tactics are enforced.
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last