[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

plumbing

Bookmark and Share
    sirpat - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default plumbing

I'm getting soooooo close, but I have another question. I'm just beginning to plumb my tank and I've been thinking about a siphon break. What can I do to prevent the tank from winding up all over the floor (and me in divorce court) in the event of a power outage. I really don't want to invest in a UPS. At least not until I can regain some of the cash flow that's been going out the door with the new tank and all. My tank is a All-Glass 75 gal w/overflow. I have roughly a 40 gal sump beneath. Let me know.

Thanks all.
    75 gal w/2 250w MH & 2 110w VHO lighting

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

About 1/2 inch below water on return drill a small hole on the backside of the return.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Pat, need a better idea of what your overflow pipe is going to look like, if its actually going to using a siphon by just drilling a small hole (1/8") in the overflow pipe at the lowest level you'd want the water to be able to fall to, once the water level falls below that point air will be introduced in and automatically break the siphon for you. I think you mentioned your tank is drilled at the bottom, though, if the pipe stands striaght up in more of a 'durso standpipe' configuration it will automatically break once the water level drops to a certain level, or you can adjust it by drilling a hole where you want it to stop.

Just be sure to take into account how much extra water capactity your sump will have to hold in the event of a failure.

Note Durostandpipe looks like this. Image borrowed and copyright of http://www.dursostandpipes.com/
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

First Name
    Dave

Repto you beat me to it
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Yea, but I only gave a brief plan... you had the patience for the steps.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

sirpat - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default siphon break

Hey guys, thanks, and I guess I can say duhhhh.....

I put in the return flow and siphon today. I saw two little hole near the top of the siphon, and I wondered what that was for. Didn't put too much thought into it I guess. Sometimes things are clear as mud.

Just got home from running errands (yawn) and don't much feel like getting pictures taken for the project log. Maybe tomorrow after work. Wife won't get home till late, so ....

Thanks again.
    75 gal w/2 250w MH & 2 110w VHO lighting

First Name
    Dave

Happens to the best of us. Just better without an audience :LOL:

I made a durso...LOVE IT...LOVE IT...LOVE IT....I can send specific pics if it helps.
    GT