[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

plumbing winterizing

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    buk - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default plumbing winterizing

well today i put an offer in on the house of my dreams. only problem is that the plumbing has been winterized. i know the chemicals used can be detrimental to a reef tank. my question is, who has been through this or has any experience with these chemicals?

is there a way to test for anything in the plumbing?

CR Member
    First Name
    tony

culligan and such places offer free water tests and estimates for new softeners and equip. id probably start there other than the typical test kits good luck

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

plumbing being winterized typically means all the pipes are drained and blown out to keep them from freezing

the only thing they add chemicals to in winterizing would be the furnace plumbing if there is any

I would say turn the water on and let it run for an hour or two should flush anything out of the system that might have gone stagnate
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

buk - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

its actually winterized with antifreeze. just curious if anyone on here has had experience with something like this. i've got wayyy too much invested in coral and fish to have it all die off over something dumb like this.

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

like what was mentioned by tony if you don't trust it take it and have it tested

if you are on city water you can usually have them test it or even places like culigan or any other water treatment lab will test it for you

make sure you tell them what you are having the sample tested for as what might be safe for us to drink might not necessarily be safe for fish to live in
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Culligan will not have a test for anti-freeze. Hopefully they used the RV anti-freeze (propylene glycol)?...typically pink.

RV antifreeze is safer than the regular stuff, but no telling what it could do with a reef.

There are testers for RV antifreeze, but those are not going to provide the low range you need.
    @BeakerBob , does the state lab have a test for propylene glycol? (Buk lives in Ohio...but I would guess that if Mi has one, OH does as well.) There maybe private labs that can test as well.

Before collecting any samples, flush the bagebazz out of your pipes by running the water (from every faucet). If the house is on a well, I would water some grass for a few days, just to be sure none of it made it to the well.

If you can't find a test or it is cost prohibitive, I would run a new line for your RO unit as close to the water line coming into your house as possible to minimize potential contamination.

Your RO/DI system combined with a good carbon block should remove residual propylene glycol. But like you are doing, I would want to verify if possible that its not present in the source water anyways.

It would have been a lot easier if they had just drained the plumbing that's for sure!
    Likes BeakerBob liked this post

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

Jimsflies is right on. If the color of the antifreeze is pinkish, then is is likely to be a propylene glycol based formula, which is made for quick flushing and consumption. If it's green or blue, then it is likely ethylene glycol based that is used in automobiles,,,,,not safe to drink.

The good news is that either antifreeze formulation is very water soluble and will readily flush out of the system. Turn on all the taps and let them run as Jim has suggested. Once cleared, the water is safe to drink and to run through the RO/DI system.
    BeakerBob - Past MMMC Club President, current Board Member
    imagephp?u1&amptypesigpic&ampdateline1261894023 - plumbing winterizing

cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Only the drain lines will have been filled with antifreeze, for the feed lines they just unhook the meter and blow them out.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by cephalotus View Post
    Only the drain lines will have been filled with antifreeze, for the feed lines they just unhook the meter and blow them out.
    This is correct. You should have no issues with your fresh water supply. The anti freeze is used to protect the drain loop that is installed to prevent methane from entering yor home from waste so it does not freeze since there is no way to remove the water from them and the toilets internal loop.i would suggest when you get into the home make sure everything is reconnected and that the hot water tank drain is closed then run all the taps inside and out for an hour to insure all sediment is ran out from the pipes. You also should remove the tap screens befor running all of them. Congrats on the new home. I would not recommend a water softener company to do this because they're going to push you to buy something! If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself hire a reputable and insured plumber. Your local water municipal can and will test your water if your still have concerns. I have been a pipe fitter for close to 30 years so I can honestly say Culligan is not the place to call unless you want a softener and wish to pay out the nose!
    Last edited by binford4000; 08-05-2012 at 05:00 AM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by cephalotus View Post
    That makes more sense for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last