[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Powerheads and Wavemakers

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

Default Powerheads and Wavemakers

Hey all,

I just ordered two Koralia Nano Powerheads for my 29 gallon setup that I am currently working on. I was wondering if there a good rule of thumb when setting up these powerheads and I was also wondering how much success people have had using wavemakers with their powerheads. If there is some sort of schedule I should follow when using powerheads, any help with that would be appreciated, and if a wavemaker would help me out immensly, that info would be appreciated too.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Not sure you should use a wavemaker with those powerheads. The turning on and off will cause extra pump wear and premature pump failure. But two of those in a small tank aimed into the center of the tank should provide ample flow chaos.

ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

Yeah, been doing some research and see now that just running those powerheads 24/7 will create the action I'm looking for, and I did find that Koralia makes a controllable version of their powerheads but it requires a proprietary wavemaker that is between $250 and $400 depending on the model...no thanks haha.
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

BK's Reef - Reefkeeper CR Member

look at the vortech mp10 there around 175 but are awesome.
    "reefing sure takes up your money...but it is the best money ive ever spent!"

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/marine-fish/bks-90-fowlr-8632/
    ^^^90 Fowlr thread

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Definitly use the wavmeker thats made for those pumps if you plan on trying to control them. Some other wavemakers are what those pumps need.

I am a firm beleiver that alternating flow/wavemakes help alot in a reef tank.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

I think premium aquatics has the mp-10 on sale for 149$, one of them would handle a 29g. Yeah they are alot more expensive than two k-nanos but they are in a completely different league as well.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

The Koralia Nano Evolutions are available in two different flow rates, 240 and 425 GPH. Thye are designed specifically with wavemakers in mind and are a fraction of the cost of a MP-10. You could get two nano Evolutions ($24 ea.)and a Reefkeper Lite controller ($95) standard with 4 controllable outlets and a temperature probe for about what one MP-10 sells for and have more functionality. Quieter too.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Now I'm thinking I spent too much on my equipment...

cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Now I'm thinking I spent too much on my equipment...
    Look at the bright side Jim, now you know how to do a sweet nano setup at a lower price!!

As far as the MP-10 goes, I love the one I bought for my frag tank. Moves a lot of water in a small setup. Just my two cents though.

That Koralia nano evolution and reefkeeper lite sound pretty tempting....hmmmm (here we go again)

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

I have two Evo 1400's on a RKL in my 5 foot 100G reef and they are the first powerheads I have found that actually disturb the Southdown sand at the far end of the tank. Over the last 6 years I have tried two different modded MJ's, three sizes of Seios, the Koralia K4's and K3's in different combinations, the new Sicce Voyager 3's which are also controller friendly and now the Evos. Lots of flow for only 6 actual measured watts each on my Kill A Watt meter and I have to be standing there watching them to see when they switch they are so quiet. Very happy!

Size wise they are much smaller than the old K series too. This photo is a Sicce Voyager #3 (1200GPH), Evo 1400 (1400GPH) and an old Koralia K1 (4000GPH) side by side. Note the new Evo 1400 is not much larger than the old K1.
    3 18 10006 - Powerheads and Wavemakers

I sold my K4's and K3 before I received the Evo so don't have side by side pics but they are much smaller.
    Last edited by AZDesertRat; 06-28-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last