[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Propeller Powerhead Flow Rate Comparison

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Propeller Powerhead Flow Rate Comparison

Some info from EcoTech that I thought was worth sharing....

New study proves that the flow from the VorTech family of pumps exceeds even the company's own advertised claims

EcoTech Marine, the company that revolutionized the reef aquarium propeller pump, is pleased to announce the results of a scientific study on flow rates published in this month's edition of Advanced Aquarist.

Dr. Sanjay Joshi, Ph.D., professor of Industrial and Manufacturing at the Pennsylvania State University, conducted the study. He used a proven method to most accurately determine the output flows of several leading aquarium propeller pumps. The study scientifically shows the entire VorTech line delivers superior flow rates far in excess of what EcoTech Marine itself was claiming in its own marketing and advertising.

The MP40, the VorTech that started it all, delivers 18.2% more than its advertised claim of 3200 GPP - netting 3781 GPH in the study.

The MP10, ideally situated for tanks smaller than 50 gallons, has an advertised flow rate of 1575 gallons per hour (GPH). The study showed a GPH of 2460 - a 56.2% increase over the advertised amount.

The MP60, ideally suited for larger tanks, has an advertised rate of 7500 GPH. It delivered 8509 GPH in the controlled study - an increase of 13.5%.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

Tunze didn't fair to well and is redoin their housing because of this. And hydor even being newer to propeller pumps is bout spot on with theirs. They all are good pumps I own each and don't use the Tunze at all just to much direct flow for size of tank. Love the Mp20 we have n will upgrade kit to newer Mp40 some day. I look at this study and see Tunze comin out stronger in the end as a product. They have thanked them for the study n will use it to make us a even better product just my 2 cents

Big Steve

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by steve&mari View Post
    I look at this study and see Tunze comin out stronger in the end as a product.
    You mean, because they will hopefully improve, right? The didn't look as good as I would have expected in that study.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

ill take there findings with a grain of salt. A powerhead manuf. decided to run a study, wierd there own power heads out performed even what they stated.

gotta love marketing.

Tunze already released statement days ago their pumps put out the flow its list in cage restrictions they will have redesigned by 6 months n sounds like roger will take care of customers with Tunze pumps also look who did the study don't see them putting their reputation in jeopardy wasn't ecotech people. Retro fit cages for nominal price is how they state it.

Big Steve
    Last edited by steve&mari; 07-15-2011 at 01:55 PM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    ill take there findings with a grain of salt. A powerhead manuf. decided to run a study, wierd there own power heads out performed even what they stated.

gotta love marketing.
    lol ...You are too much of a skeptic...

I don't think this study was paid for by any of them. Since the findings looked good for EcoTech they jumped on it.

Feature Article: Experimental Comparison of Measured Flow Output of Aquarium Propeller Pumps — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Jim can you post link to the Tunze statement I'm having trouble trying to from my phone thank you

Big Steve

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

".....EcoTech enlisted the help of Dr. Sanjay Joshi to design a study utilizing the latest in analytical techniques available....."

That is just one sentence of the e-mail I received from ecotech about the study. It does sound as though ecotech financed the study however. I also wonder how Tunze can be so far off and actually ecotech's testing was incorrect as well.
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by steve&mari View Post
    Jim can you post link to the Tunze statement I'm having trouble trying to from my phone thank you

Big Steve
    Here it is....

Quote Originally Posted by Tunze Press Release
    Where did we get our flow numbers?
    We derived our flow numbers in two ways, by a test termed a "bag test" and by theoretical calculations. The bag test is just as simple as it sounds, a collapsed bag is placed over the end of the pump and inflated by the pump with water, the time to fill the bag is measured and the flow is calculated. This method has definite limitations, it places backpressure on the pump, and it cannot be used on larger pumps given the limits of bag volume and reliable timing. For all pumps a theoretical calculation is made based on propeller surface area and rotation frequency.
    Our bag test results are consistent (within + or - 10%) with theoretical results on the pump models 6015, 6025, 6045, 6055, 6065 and 6085. This led us to rely on theoretical numbers. The biggest pump that a bag test can be performed on is the 6105 and the inaccuracy of flow numbers on the 6105 has a different origin than 6205 and 6305 inaccuracies. The 6205 and 6305 flow numbers were only based on theoretical calculations. The 6105, when released, was near specified flow and was bag tested with a result of 90% of theoretical, however, later modifications to reduce noise relied on theoretical flow numbers and flow was lost to these modifications. On models 6205 and 6305 the fundamental issue is that the theoretical flow cannot be reached due to overly constricted intake and output.
    Going Forward.
    Over the next 6 months we will perform numerous tests aimed at improving our pumps. We believe pump volume alone does not equal effective flow, the ability to direct that flow is also important. In much the same way as the light available from a bulb means little if it cannot be properly directed into the aquarium, the flow rate at a pump is not as important if there is not sufficient flow at the corals.. We have since purchased two flow meters, one uses comparable sonic technology and the other uses a propeller akin to a common wind gauge and while we have found that using the comparable meter and methodology our results are the same. We have also found the propeller based meter gives divergent data, this data indicates that our more forceful targeted flow draws in current as the distance from the pump increases and that our total flow produced may be well higher than the flow of the pump itself. Use of a different methodology may very well give the opposite results, but this does not dispute the results of this study, it will only show that flow is complex and has numerous aspects which we are only beginning to understand. At this point we conclude that the study is correct for the flow produced by the actual pump itself and we will improve the pumps in a retrofittable manner, though this will take time as new parts must be designed and produced. Improvements will be based on increasing intake surface and reducing output restrictions on models 6205 and 6305 and increasing rotational speed for 6105. We would like to thank Sanjay Joshi, Bill Straka and Michael Sandford for performing this study, graciously informing us of the results and giving input on proposed solutions. We believe it is a step forward in uncovering many of the mysteries of high volume, low pressure flow which until recently was nearly impossible to quantify.
    and for the skeptics...that have to see it in several places
    WOW, bad press for Tunze Turbelle - Reef Central Online Community

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Club ecotech for life! All other powerheads are inferior.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last