[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

Default Heat Pack Study-Revisited

I posted this study several years ago on another site and was recently asked to post on CR.

How efficient are heat packs when used to ship insulated boxes to maintain a warm temperature during the cold winter months in Michigan? Which heat packs should be used? What is the temperature of the water when received?

These are questions that have been on my mind when I ship coral frags during the winter months, so I designed a study to see how heat packs impact the shipped water temperature and the effectiveness of the insulated box. To design the study, many variables had to be controlled to make the proper comparisons meaningful, i.e. apples to apples. I used the same size and density Styrofoam containers, a uniform volume of water at a specific temperature and stored them in a controlled cold room at 4C +/- 1C (40F +/- 1F) degree. NIST calibrated temperature data loggers were sealed in plastic bags to keep them dry, then placed into the sealed water bag and recorded the water temperatures every 5 minutes for 48 hours.

Thank You
    A special acknowledgement goes to Debbie Berlin (www.diyreef.com)/Todd Cherry (Cherry Corals) and Reefone for donating some different heat packs for testing and also for Jimsflies for helping me upload some of the data.

The Heat Pack Study follows below and in subsequent posts, however, I was having difficulty with the pdf files, so I have to convert the Excel charts to jpg format:

TEST CONTROLS:
    First, every test must have some controls designed into the study for confidence in the results. Precision, accuracy, and blank samples are often used. For the purpose of precision, I started the study testing heat packs in triplicate to see if they were uniform in heating the water. After several tests on the Little Hotties, I concluded that testing in triplicate was no longer necessary as they were reproducible (precision). Accuracy is a little more difficult to show in this type of study, so the NIST calibration will have to suffice. In order to compare the results in a meaningful fashion, I prepared two blank controls, , blank meaning no heat packs. The first blank control was 27C bagged water with no Styrofoam box. The second blank was 27C bagged water packaged the same as the other tested boxes, but without any heat packs. These two blanks serve as control comparisons.

PACKAGING:
    All packaging was uniform for every test (except the blank as described). A liter of 27C water was sealed with an activated temperature data logger in the bag, and then placed in the bottom of the Styrofoam cooler. A 2-ply newspaper was folded 4x and placed on the water bag as a barrier between the water and the heat packs. The heat pack(s) were taped to the inside of the lid and activated prior to use. Once assembled, a strip of tape was placed over the lid and sides of the box to make it secure, then placed in a temperature controlled environment. Shortly after 48 hours, the package was disassembled and the data logger downloaded to provide the readings and charts.
    Last edited by BeakerBob; 03-09-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    BeakerBob - Past MMMC Club President, current Board Member
    imagephp?u1&amptypesigpic&ampdateline1261894023 - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Default Pictures of the study:

HEAT PACKS USED:

Little Hotties 18 hour Hand & Body Warmer Heat Pack
    MR P1010017 - Heat Pack Study-Revisited
    MR P1010019a - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

DIYREEF.com, 20 hour Heat Pack
    MR P1010011 - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Ultra Warmer, 24+ hour Heat Pack
    MR P1010014 - Heat Pack Study-Revisited
    MR P1010016a - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

UniHeat, 30+ hour Heat Pack
    MR P1010013 - Heat Pack Study-Revisited
    MR P1010015a - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Default Controlled Testing Conditions:

STORAGE TEMPERATURE:
    • Ambient temperature maintained at 4C

STYROFOAM CONTAINER:
    • Thermalok TL-645F with lid
    o Outside Dimension: 9-1/2 x 7-7/8 x 8-1/16,
    o Inside Dimension: 6-1/4 x 4-5/8 x 5,
    o Volume: 144.53 cubic inches, 2.4 liters, 0.634 gallons, or 81.15 ounces
    o Wall thickness: 1.5”

WATER CONDITIONS:
    • Volume: 1 liter, 0.26 gallons, or 33.8 ounces
    • Temperature 27C (80.6F)
    • Double bagged, no air bubble

TEMPERATURE DATA LOGGER:
    • Recording interval: Set to record temperature at 5 minute intervals
    • Duration: 48 hours
    • Placement: Heat-sealed in plastic bag, double bagged and secured inside 1 liter water bag.

HEAT PACKS:
    1. Little Hotties 18 hour Hand & Body Warmer, states 37C (135F) average temperature
    2. DIYREEF.com, 20 hour Heat Pack, no other information available.
    3. Grabber Mycoal 24+ hour Ultra Warmer, states 51C (124F) average temperature, 65C (149F) maximum temperature.
    4. American Pioneer International, 30+ hour UniHeat, states 38C (100F) average temperature, 49C (120F) temperature

• Heat packs activated and warm prior to insertion into water bag
    • Heat packs taped to lid along edges to maintain clear air holes

ASSUMPTIONS:

1) There is an adequate oxygen supply for the heat packs in the container.
    2) Shipped packages are stored at an average of 40F during the cold winter months.
    3) All packaging is prepared in a similar manner.

REAL LIFE VARIABLES:

1. The actual storage temperature (ambient temperature) is dependent on shipping environment.
    2. Packaging varies in box size, density, and thickness which impacts heating efficiency.
    3. Water volume is extremely variable and has significant impact on temperature.

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Default Packaging Pictures:

Water volume and temperature:
    MR P1010030 - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Temperature Data Logger heat-sealed in plastic bag:
    MR P1010021 - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Water and Data Logger Sealed in plastic bag:
    MR P1010040a - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Heat Packs taped to lid and activated:
    MR P1010022 - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Packaging Components ready for assembly:
    MR P1010042A - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Water bag with data logger in first:
    MR P1010043 - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Newspaper barrier in next:
    MR P1010044a - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Lid with activated heat packs placed on box and secured with tape:
    MR P1010045a - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Default Results Charted:

Click on chart for bigger picture.

Chart of Little Hottie 18 hour testing in triplicate:

1BodyWarmer - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Chart of DYREEF.com 20 hour heat packs, single and double:

1DIY20Hour - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Chart of Ultra Warmer, 24+ hour Heat Pack, single and double:

UltraWarmer - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Chart of UniHeat, 30+ hour Heat Pack, single and double:

1UniHeat - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

Chart showing the results of all the testing:

1AllChart - Heat Pack Study-Revisited

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Default Study Observations:

Temperature increase: The DIYREEF 20 hour and the UltraWarmer 24+ hour single and double heat packs actually raised the water temperature for a period of 3 to 5 hours to highs between 87F and 89F before decreasing.

At the 18 hour mark, typical of shipping out at 5PM one day and receiving at 11AM the next day, the water temperatures ranged from 61F to 65F.

At the 24 hour mark, the temperature ranged from 56F to 60F.

Lets open this to discussion for questions, comments, suggestions and what else might be explored in the future for this study. Don't forget to rate this thread to show if this type of information helps the reefing community or not. Rating can be done by clicking on the upper right portion of the first thread.

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Default Q & A From Preuss Pets

Amazing study Bob. A couple comments:

-I think I read a 40 degree average temp outside the box to simulate shipping temp? I think this is way low, as many locations such as inside the 'store' or 'house' before being picked up by the shipper will be more like 70, and then inside at least some of the shipping facilities this will be temp controlled as well. I'm guessing you tossed the box in the fridge at 40 degrees? I'd be curious to see what the curves were like at an average of 50.

I selected 40 degrees for a number of reasons...I had a controlled 40 +/-1 degree room available and considered that the "average temperature" from shipping. Yes, you are right that most boxes sit at room temp in stores waiting to be shipped, but then they sit at the shippers warehouse at the airport for a length of time. I don't think they are temperature controlled during the actual shipping in the aircraft and definitely not during the ride in the delivery van.

- I see the tape is only across the top, and not 'sealing' the seam. I'd be curious to see if doing a lap around the lid to seal this seam would have any impact. A couple of our shippers do this, and claim it helps to keep the heat in better.

I taped across the top only and did not seal the box as I didn't want to limit the amount of air needed to keep the heat pack activated. I have received several boxes that were sealed across the top too and wondered if they were more efficient.

- Finally, was the stryo wrapped in a cardboard box and then taped shut also? I can't figure the r-value of cardboard is all that good, but bums use it so maybe...

The only reason I used the cardboard box was to preserve the styro container for repeated shipping. Without the cardboard shell, they get banged up and dirty through the shipping process.

- As far as heat pack placement, some of our shippers will tape them to the top using minimal tape so to not impact the surface area exposed on the packs. Others simply wrap the heat pack in newspaper and toss it in the box.

I taped the heat pack to the top being careful not to impede the air flow to the pack. I've shipped both ways, but for the sake of consistency in the study, I wanted to control the placement.

- I'd also be curious to see about bigger boxes with more water. We receive enough shipments, and for the most part unless they are very delayed, the temps are pretty solid, upper 60's sometimes, but usually more like low 70's. Most of these are bagged up in the afternoon one day and unpacked between 9am and noon the following day, so 16-20 hours or so, although for the last 30 minutes or so they are sitting in the warm airport lobby, or in the warm car/truck.

The bigger boxes contain larger volumes of water that act as potential heat sinks to "buffer" the temperature in the box. I am not surprised that they maintain a higher temperature, but I think it is due to their volume, not to the heat packs. The heat packs would only be able to maintain the air temperature and slow down the loss of the water's thermal capacity.

Overall very cool!

Steve

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Default Addendum

After several years of shipping and tweaking the packaging, I now drill a 1/2" hole through the lid of the styrofoam and tape the heat pack over the hole. If I use two heat packs, I drill two holes and place each heat pack over each hole. The packs are taped along the sides only so that maximum air exposure is possible inside the container. The holes through the top provide oxygen that is needed for the heat reaction in the packs and insure that the oxygen levels are adequate. It has been my suspicion that using small sealed styrofoam containers limit the available air for the heat to be produced.

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Thank you so much for putting in the time and effort for this study! This is very interesting!

I would love to see a test done on the same heat packs to see what sort of difference poking a hole in the styro directly above the heat pack does.

I would also love to see hot hands brand tested as well if you do happen to do any in the future. The main heat packs I have seen used are: uniheat and hot hands. Hot hands seem to be available at all of the big box stores, so it would be interesting to see how they compare to the rest.
    Last edited by rosebud161616; 03-09-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

This write up has answered many questions and worries I have had, but been to nervous in shipping to try!

Thanks for sharing Bob!
    Likes Heidi liked this post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last