[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Quality Heater

Bookmark and Share
    Pat-O - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Patrick

Default Quality Heater

We are living in the parents basement until my schooling is done which is awesome I might add but it get pretty cold down here in the winter and with my other freshwater tanks it would get to cold then I would add a small heater to help out and then they would both make it to hot so i would have to keep adjusting them. I dont want to have to do that this year and kill anything. What would you guys recommend for one good quality dependable heater?

My tanks a sixty gal

The other issue I have to work on is looking into generator options in Fort Gratiot we lose power a lot so I don't want to loose anything that way?

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I'm not sure what's going on with your heaters, but it sounds like something is wrong yours if it's overheating the tank. I've just picked up heaters for 75g and used it in my 60 with out any hot/cold issues. I think I picked it up at Petsmart but I forget the name of it. I got it when those Marineland ones were recalled.

You could also get a controller like a RKE that would shut your heater off in case the heater went bad. As far as a generator goes, you can go to Home Depot and pick one up. I got a Gereric (or something like that) 5500 but that will do most of the house. Also look at some pawnshops and see what they have...sometimes you can find a good deal.

ScottCRRT - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Scott

Once your temp is dialed in, you shouldn't have any problem with overheating. I would always suggest Eheim heaters.

TM01 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Todd
    Awards Tank of the Month Monthly Giveaway Winner

I don't think there is a heater worth recommending. But whichever kind you choose I would also recommend you put it on a controller. If you don't want to invest onto a "all in one" then you might be able to find a used Ranco temp controller for around $50.
    "The price of beauty is never quick or cheap."

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

You definitely want a controller. All heaters go bad and when they do they usually are stuck on!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Pat-O - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Patrick

Interesting thanks for the info.