[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Question about lighting

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Question about lighting

I have a 55gal tank and 6-48" fluorescent tubes for a total of 240watts. They are actually t-8's which are 32watts but are 'brighter' than the standard t-12 40watt. This works out to be equivalent to about 4.4 watts/gallon. Will this be sufficient lighting for most specimens? I like how the tubes run so much cooler than MH as this might be an issue in the summer. Also, how much actinic is to much??? If I ran 3 out of the 6 bulbs with actinic 03's would that be ok? (I like the blueish tint!) ( Or are the MH the only way to go?)

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I think you'd be fine,especially if you ran them off of IC ballast.I'd look into a good reflector to get the most out of them.I remember LFS growing
    SPS under 8 NO flourecents.I get excellent growth out of my flourescents(2x95wVHO and 2x39wT5)just started growing Acros this month and they're encrusting nicely.One of the benefits of IC ballasts is that they tend to overdrive T5's,NO's and T8's.As long as you keep fans in your canopy you'll get a yr out of the bulbs.ALL LIGHTING SHOULD BE VENTILATED if you want to get prolonged bulb life.

As far as bulbs,I prefer 1 6500k,2 10000k's,2 act03,1 20000k(blue)for a 6 bulb setup,should give you a nice white/blue color.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Hope Thea work for you i don't have very good luck with the PC i used to
    have everything lived but that was it no growth.
    After i went to vho Thea started to grew added the MH and I'm giving frags away.

The temp to me depends on your house we have central air and keep
    it at 78 and never have a problem with the tank i use 2
    fans in canap
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

CR Member

Ok thanks! I didn't know there was a 20,000K fluorescent bulb!

Its actually a 450nm PC blue or T5blue+,I'm sure they have them in t8's as well,jsut make sure to get one that peaks at 450nm

CR Member

Next question is in regards to bulb longevity. Just about everywhere I've looked it is recommended to change the NO tubes every 10-12 months. Why is that? The box the tubes come in all say they are good for about 10,000 hours. Now, if I run the lights for 10 hours a day then they should remain effective for about 2.75 years! To be on the conservative side you could replace every 2 years. Why do they recommend every 1 year???

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

From the time they are first fired they gradually start changing the color spectrum they produce, eventually getting further and further away from the desired color range and closer into the red area. Corals in general process the blue end (400-470nm i think is about right) of the spectrum to synthesize into food, on the plus side if you want to grow hair algae old lighting is a great way to encourage it. The actual amount of light output being produced will also degrade over time as well.

Wait a year and put a new tube alongside an old one... you'll see the difference, swap them out for your tank and use the old tubes in the garage or some place usefull.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member

I see what you are saying but the packing states that the color spectrum is effective for 10,000 hours. Oh wait!! It say effective UP TO 10,000 hours. Anyway, it's not worth pulling your hair (algae) over. Thanks for the input!

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Gotta read the fine print, kinda like 100% PURE then in tiny letters 'arificial'..... saw that on a chocalate bar a long time ago, a very depressing purchase that tasted like crap too..
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.