[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

SKIMMERS

Bookmark and Share
    BUGZME - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default SKIMMERS

How would you go about making a skimmer more efficient?
    THANKS JEFF
    2-45 GALLON FRAG TANKS
    55 SHOW TANK

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Things like more effecient pumps, air injection, the use of ozone, etc... he promoted to try and get the darkest stuff you can collect in the collection cup @ 1 cup per day. My skimmer works pretty damn good, but if I can't get 1 cup per day, that's ok with me. Another thing that helps is kalkwasser top-offs with ro for evape make up.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Depends on what you are starting with, I've learned a lot from my DIY skimmers. When you boil it down, it comes to two key things the smallest possible size and greatest density of the micro-bubbles and getting the maximum contact time with the water. Then of course actually skimming the maximum amount of water possible.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

BUGZME - Reefkeeper Registered User

I have asm g1 skimmers on all my tanks and there is no way I get a cup a week. The g-1 is rated for 100 gallons and all my tanks are basically 60. I'm thinking os putting an air pump to the air intake. Do you guys think this would work?
    THANKS JEFF
    2-45 GALLON FRAG TANKS
    55 SHOW TANK

Probably not... would probably overload the pump and cause it to act as if there is not enough water to work properly, but heck, if you have something to test your theory, try it... I hope I'm wrong.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I agree with Repto, it'll likely over run your pump. But can't hurt anything to try. If there is a way to get something like a basswood or limewood airstone into the skimmer itself that could increase the effectiveness. But they take larger air pumps to drive them effectively, if you have a one laying around I'd give that a whirl, the airstones can be had retail for pretty cheap, and online for really cheap.

I was working on some plans to build an airstone driven skimmer to put right at the output of the overflows to see how much crud it would intercept. just never got around to finishing it,
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

My DIY skimmer is 36" tall x 6" diameter, driven by a 740 gph venturi pump, and has 2 limestone air stones fed by a large dual feed adjustible air pump... I'm happy!!!