[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Radion Gen3?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Radion Gen3?

In your opinion would 1 Radion Gen3 be sufficient lighting for a 40B?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

ebushrow - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

I think you would be better off with 2, that being said, it will depend on what you want to keep....theoretically the radions only cover a 24"x24" area, but depending on lenses, you might be able to push it a bit. I might be able to help you find one if you haven't already bought one too...

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

first of it all depends on what model radion. the XR15w is rated for 24"x24" the XR30w models are rated for 30"x30". you could probably push more coverge if you upgraded lenses to the 120 degree optics. The XR15w would be enough for your tank if you put it right over the middle of the tank but the closer you get to the sides the dimmer your tank will be. If your ok with that look than one will do the job, if not then you would need two or one XR30w. The XR15w retails at 399 and the two XR30w models range from 650 to 750 per unit. plus through in the costs of the hanging kits as well.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I wouldn't even consider the XR15. I'm thinking the XR30w hung at 11" with 120° optics should give me plenty coverage no?

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

In theory it should, I think the only problem you might run into is making a jump from your current fixture to a XR30 (which puts out just over 900 par) is the fact that you might not be able to get the same brightness that you currently have with your tank without frying your corals, even after acclimating them to the new light. I know people that have smaller tanks that go with multiple fixtures cause they can run the intensities lower yet still get a nice brightly lit tank cause of running more than one fixture. Call ecotech customer service and see which way they recommend going, either way they are truly nice fixtures.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Well I know for sure what Echo Tech is going to say-lol. I'm actually being given a deal from a reefer friend. He has a barely used Gen 1 with 120° optics for $200.00. Upgrading it to Gen 3 will cost me another $200.00. That's a new Gen 3 for $400.00. Not bad right?
    He's willing to pre-program an acclimation schedule. Which would allow me to plug en play, while at my leisure tinker around with the on-line app. I also have a tank mount that would allow me to hang it as high as 16-18" if needed.

ATM I'm running a black box. Which has be going for almost 2yrs. It's starting to show its age.

First Name
    Matt

That's a great deal. You won't be able to use the online app to control the lights without the reeflink. Without that you'll just be able to use the controls on the actual light. Or you can connect the light via USB to a computer to program the light. The app doesn't work without the reeflink, I know this because I thought the same thing when they said you could control your vortechs and the vectra return pump. So that's something to keep in mind. Again that is a great deal on the light though.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Oh I know about the Reef Link. Works similar to my Seneys's SWS Hopefully better though.
    I'm so looking forward to this most positive upgrade. Thank you for your input

First Name
    Matt

Just hooked up mine two days ago. So far no issues and has worked flawlessly. Just have some patience when setting it up due to lack of instructions oh and even though it's wi-fi capable you'll do yourself a world of good if you use the ether net cable that it comes with to hard line it. Once that's up the ecosmartlive app is fun and you have amazing control over your equipment. It's even got me thinking about switching from my AI hydras over to radions sometime in the future

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Default Radion Gen3?

It's running!! Radiant 2wk acclimation 55% intensity. 9am till 9pm. Beautiful! At just 11" from surface I've got full coverage, at least it looks like it-lol.
    900866df3da81621933dc60e87366801 - Radion Gen3?
    Last edited by MizTanks; 01-30-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last