[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

refugium light on?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default refugium light on?

How long should my refugium light be turned on? It gets some natural sun, but I was thinking about adding an additional source? Kind? Power?Thanks.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I run my refugium light 24/7. For years I ran CFL (the type you use around the house) either 60 or 100 watt equivalent. With good success.

A week ago I replaced it with a DIY LED fixture. The algae seems to be growing faster, but it may be a little too soon to tell for sure.

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

depends on what macro you are using. if you are using something like cheato that doesnt go sexual, then you are best with 12 hours on/ 12 hours off. this is because for the best algae growth the plants will need a dark period to respire, and with better growth come great nutrient uptake.

when i ran a refugium, i just used regular reflector style light from home depot with a exo terra CFL plant bulb.

if you are growing something like caulerpa in the refugium i've read that its best to run lights on 24/7 to prevent it from going sexual. although i dont know how true this is. one because ive never heard of anyone actually having it happen to them. and two because i have caulerpa in my macro algae cube, its on 12/12 schedule. ive had it turn white and "dissolve" away before, yet never have i had it so up anywhere in the tank.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

oh yeah, and like mentioned above, having it reverse from you display schedule is also recommended to prevent the pH swings that occur when the lights are off.

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by dputt88 View Post
    depends on what macro you are using. if you are using something like cheato that doesnt go sexual, then you are best with 12 hours on/ 12 hours off. this is because for the best algae growth the plants will need a dark period to respire, and with better growth come great nutrient uptake.

when i ran a refugium, i just used regular reflector style light from home depot with a exo terra CFL plant bulb.

if you are growing something like caulerpa in the refugium i've read that its best to run lights on 24/7 to prevent it from going sexual. although i dont know how true this is. one because ive never heard of anyone actually having it happen to them. and two because i have caulerpa in my macro algae cube, its on 12/12 schedule. ive had it turn white and "dissolve" away before, yet never have i had it so up anywhere in the tank.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

oh yeah, and like mentioned above, having it reverse from you display schedule is also recommended to prevent the pH swings that occur when the lights are off.
    +1
    For grape calurpa its imp to have it on 24/7.