[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

refugium or not to refugium that's my question

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default refugium or not to refugium that's my question

We're setting up our first reef tank and have decided to go with a 210 gal set up. I've got the lighting , tank, skimmer etc all sized for the tank and ready to be picked up with the tank/stand in another 2 weeks. MY BIG QUESTION is that someone asked me if I wanted to add a refugium - so I had to first find out what it was - researched it - and now I know. My burning question (I want to do right by the animals) is it really a benefit to have a refuge for the system or will conventional (skimmer, sterilizer, etc) filtration system do the job just as well ? I've gotten 2 different answers and am of course confused. Will some of you who have experience with these systems/refuges give me some guidance on why I should add one as well as what to look for in a refugium as well as what to avoid. My main interest is in keeping the reef aquarium critters healthy and happy. Please HELP !!

Ron :study:

CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

Default refugium

It seems a refugium is starting to be the way to go from everything I have read. I dont have one but a guy at the LFS says his actually is a food source for coral and fish. You could add one later any way

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

i would think about adding a sump first then you can add your refugium to that later on if you find out you would like one
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

i have a refugium in my sump. i think that anytime you can have one you should. anytime you can add more water and flow to you display tank you will benifit the inhabitants of that display tank. if gives a place for certain algeas and pods to breed and live while supplying the display with enough of them to feed certain fish and corals. but this is just my opinion and im sure you will get some replies that are the exact opposite of mine. so it is really up to you, but i suggest one whenever it is possible.

CR Member

I prefer the sump/ref/skimmer setup I have. On 1 end is the skimmer, the middle is my ref and the other end is my sump/return pump. It gives me a place to grow my cheato/calupra as well as a safe haven for pods and other small critters. I have mineral mud and argonite in my ref to help with break downs as well as extra LR to assist.

I agree with bobby on the fact additional water and flow help the tank and a place for things to grow, as well it is a nice healing area if you need to put fish/critters/corals a place to heal up.
    The nice thing to know is that if I screw this up, I know what is for dinner.

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

i'v always started tanks with just refug and never had any proglems. plus you get the bonus of the critters in the refug that you get to see and the different types of algae.
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

i can't believe noone has diagreed yet. usually about 10 people have already posted the exact opposite of what i said. but FlaReefer, what works for one of us may not work for you. that is just something that you will learn in time.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

I also have the 3 part sump 1st part skimmer and drain from tank, 2nd fuge, 3rd return. If you are just setting up the tank I would go that way. It saves the trouble of adding it later. (I've redone mine 3 times when I should have just done it this way the first time.....live and learn) Good luck with the new tank.

Angie

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

I agree, a sump/fuge/skimmer combo is a good way to go. Check out My reef creations sump combo's. Andy is a great guy to deal with and if you don't like the design he will build one to your specs/needs.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

wouldn't it be better to have:

the fuge first, followed by the skimmer, and last be the return?

my thinking is, let the "dirty" water go to the fuge first that way the macros, feather dusters, etc. get as much "food" as possible, then what gets past them, could go into the skimmer?

or does it matter?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last