[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Return Pump Info Request

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Default Return Pump Info Request

Hi,

Its been a while, but fall is fast approaching and my reef is needing some required attention. I have a Mag 7 that I am using as an in-sump return pump in my 50 gallon reef. I would like to replace the Mag 7 due to the noise. The pump is reaching the end of its life as the internal impeller can sway back and forth due to wear. This is with a new impeller so its the motor unit. What pump recommendations do you guys have for replacing this Mag 7. My limitation to flow rate is that I have a 1/2" Sea Swirl which can handle flow rates up to 550gph. I have about a 4 foot rise in pipe with 1 right angle and 2 45 degree fittings. Thank you for your suggestions...........................Jim

ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

I have had an awesome experience with the Eheim hobby pumps. They are a little pricey for an internal return pump, but they are well worth the extra $50.
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Thanks for the replies. I do like the track records of the Eheim pumps and I'll look into the Quiet One. This is a 2 stage upgrade--I'll probably look into getting a new skimmer that is more efficient than my old Euro-Reef. .......Jim

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Ehiem pumps are quite nice. I would also recommend a TUNZE (not sure if they make one with the flow rate you're after). Both brands have been very dependable and run much quieter than the mags.

Tom

ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

I don't think you'll find better skimming for the price with a bubble magus or a reef octopus. I'm about to pick up a nac6 myself.

Sent from Tapatalk 4 on my Galaxy S4
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Eheim 1260, Ocean Runner 2500 or Water Blaster HY-3000 would be my choices for a return pump. I have had two Quiet One pumps catch on fire literally and would never ever recommend one to anyone. I thought one was a fluke but two is the pits. I have had many Mag's and all ran hot, were noisy and drew more power than other comparable sixed pumps. My tanks dropped 2-3 degrees after switching to a Ocean Runner with no other changes. I switched from the Ocean Runner to a Water Blaster and the power consumption dropped an additional 8 watts with even more flow so better still.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

They were used both submerged and external as a return and a closed loop. They really sucked from day one, would not restart after power outages, ran so hot they raised the tank temp even higher than the Mag 9.5, drew more watts than claimed on my Kill A Watt meter and were far from quiet. I did a very detailed pump test back when I was part of Team RC on that other forum and they came out around the bottom of the barrel in all tests. The best at the time was Ocean Runner almost mirrored by Eheim. Mags, Via Aqua, Rio and Rio Hyperflo and others I don't remember were much farther down the list. I tested power consumption using a Kill A Watt meter, flow using a 1" flow meter and graduated containers over time, head and shutoff head using piping, tubing, valves and fittings and a 10 psi calibrated pressure gauge and heat using rubbermaid tubs and a digital thermometer. Some pumps were grossly overrated for flow, significantly off as far as power consumption and several were hotter than blazes. I found both Eheim and Ocean Runner to be conservative on power consumption, running several watts less than published and pumped greater GPH and higher head than advertised. Mag in general pumped a little more than advertised if you upsized the plumbing but drew more power and ran much hotter. The others at the time were not worthy of mention. I wish I could duplicate these tests today with newer pumps not available then like the WaterBlasters, Tunze and Sicce lines. I think based on reviews on all the forums they all would do quite well and I know I am totally happy with the WaterBlaster HY-5000 I replaced the OR-3500 with which replaced the Rio Hyperflo which replaced the Quiet One 4000 which replaced the Rio which replaced the Mag 7 and 9.5. I have owned many pumps over the last 30 years in the hobby.
    Likes Tankster liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

For the skimmer, I just unpacked the Reef Octopus DCS-150 and have it running. Very nice skimmer and the tank should benefit from the upgrade. My Euro-Reef worked very well, but was underpowered for the bio-load in the tank.....................Jim