[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

RO/DI filter

Bookmark and Share

Default RO/DI filter

So its time, I have the money for one and have had the need. But i need some help and advice.
    Im going to be buying a RO/DI filter for my water. Up until now, ive been relying on treated tap water and everything been doin ok, but i wann step up to the next lvl.
    What would be the best, lets say, top3 skimmers on the market?

I also dont understand the whole xx gallons a day. What does this mean?

Tank is a 55gal with a ~~10gal sump, but plan on upgrading to a 70-75gal tank and a larger sump when we move in the next 3 months.

Thanks advance.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

*confused* are you looking for a new skimmer or RO/DI unit?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

a RO/DI unit.
    sorry, i was including tank and sump size in case it was a requirement for the size of unit I need to get.

ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

I have and highly recommend a Spectrapure Unit.

You would not need anything above 25-40 GPD. (Gallons Per Day) which means it can make up to That many gallons of pure RO/DI water per day.

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_osmo_p1.htm

First Name
    Dave

We're going on almost 3 years and over 3K gallons from our $80 5 stage unit we got off eBay (filterdirect is the seller).
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Quote Originally Posted by ReefNeck
    25-40 GPD. (Gallons Per Day) which means it can make up to That many gallons of pure RO/DI water per day.
    ok, is this based on ... filter media is go0d for 3 years or xx total gallons, so that = out to 25 gallons a day.

or

if you leave the unit on for 24 hours it will only make 25 gallons of RO/DI'd water?

Was also curious, we might hook it up so we can use it for drinking water instead of using a faucet mounted Pur filter. Is this feasible? Im sure it will up the requirements on the size of the unit i need.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Quote Originally Posted by pass1over
    ok, is this based on ... filter media is go0d for 3 years or xx total gallons, so that = out to 25 gallons a day.

or

if you leave the unit on for 24 hours it will only make 25 gallons of RO/DI'd water?

Was also curious, we might hook it up so we can use it for drinking water instead of using a faucet mounted Pur filter. Is this feasible? Im sure it will up the requirements on the size of the unit i need.

Thanks for all the help so far.
    It's based on the RO membrane's capabilities.

yes!

Most RO units don't get "Turned off". They don't use power and have no switch.

As for drinking water usage....You wouldn't want to. RO/DI water is 100% pure water and would tast terrible. But if you did, Yea....Yu would need a much more costly unit.

First Name
    Dave

Most units have a pressure switch that will shut off the flow when the pressure reaches a certain point on the out put line like a float valve or even a pressure tank. Drink RO/DI water is not terrible, maybe I've been spoiled with living on well water for most of my life, but tastes quite similar to bottled water to me and not much different from the well. Systems with a pressure tank and drinking water spout can still be had for around $100.

The GPD rating is an estimate of how much RO water will be produced provided you have sufficient water pressure on the source line.
    The higher the water pressure the more efficient the unit will perform (to the max rating).

Well said. I can't even add to that.