[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

ro/di tubing - drip irrigation tubing?

Bookmark and Share
    cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

Default ro/di tubing - drip irrigation tubing?

i was wondering if it would make a difference if i used the drip irrigation tubing for my waste water and good water tubes on my ro/di. the ro/di has the hard tubing conecting its components but i need some more for the uses above.
    i was at lowes yesterday and they have 1/4 in o.d. black drip tubing. it is a couple of cents cheaper by the ft (16 cents where aqua cave has it for 19) but the convenience of being able to just go get it would be nice. also it is more pliable and soft as compaired to reg. ro/di stuff which i think would make it easier to snake around to my top off and to run the waste outdoors to the garden. the emmiters they use pierce the tube like i would imagine the quick connect stuff does on the unit.

fawkes - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I can't imagine that the waste side makes any difference - as long as you don't significantly restrict flow. My RO unit started out life as a low end 5 stage from Lowes with a 25gpd membrane and a standard under sink installation with the waste going to the sink drain. Since then I have added a tee, a long (20-30 ft) tube through the sill plate and a shutoff valve so that I can waste to the yard instead of to the septic tank (at least when the line to the outside is not frozen). I use a lot of water (20+ G/week) and didn't want all of the waste going through the septic system. That line to the outside might be a bit more rigid than the stuff I used internally.

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I don't know about the black drip water line but you can easily get the clear nylon line at hd or lowes fairly cheap and that is what I use without issue

I am not 100% sure but I think the drip tubing is called drip cause it has micro holes through out it to make the water drip through it while under pressure

the clear stuff is found in the regular plumbing isle near where the john guest (quick connect) fittings are located
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

thanks. they had both types there. i wouldnt be restricting it, just running it out to where i want it. this drip tubing is solid but they call it that because you attach drip emitters anywhere along the line to water your plants. it pierces the tube and sticks in the ground to deliver water right there. it soulds like it should hold then. i was wondering about it catching and holding when you push/pull it to get the connection.

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

The catching and holding and sealing won't be an issue

The reason for my concern about the preasure is if you use an auto shut off it uses preasure build up to activate the valve to shut the ro unit off

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then