[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

RO/DI Water

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default RO/DI Water

I have a question about using an RO/DI filter to feel up a drum. Is it ok to leave that water just sitting or should it be moving with a powerhead. And same question with an ATO syestem in a 5 Gallon with kalkwasser.

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Default Storing RO/DI water

In a large water storage container, I believe you should keep a powerhead running to keep that water moving around. If you don't, you will notice a slimy buildup on the inside of the container. I don't know that anyone has ever proven that is anything bad, but it is disconcerting when you are trying to use zero PPM water. In an ATO Kalk reactor which I don't have and don't trust I believe that the water is aggitated with the kalkwasser and then allowed to settle. The clear water left at the top of the container after the kalk has distilled to the bottom is what is used and beneficial. I don't believe it is aggitated or mixed more than once, but I could certainly be wrong on that one. I know that what you don't want to do is to add kalkwasser in an unsettled state.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default RO/DI Water

Your right MN. You do not want to add agitation to the ATO that contains Kalkwasser.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

Thnx for the info guys. What do you not trust about kalk my nemesis, do you use a two part I,ve always been scared of the fluctuation doing so.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Do not put a pump or powerhead in plain RO/DI water, there is no need.
    By doing so you agitate the water and since it is very agressive, trying to get back to its natural "dirty" state, it will attract things out of the air at the waters surface.

I keep a 23 gallon Rubbermaid full of RO/DI for my ATO system in my garage. The container has been in use for a little over 5 years now, has never had a pump or powerhead in it and the TDS still registers 0 using a good COM-100 TDS meter. Keep it quiet or quiescent and covered and it will stay good for months or more.

Once I mix new saltwater, I then add a pump or powerhead and a heater to circulate the water and get it ready for the water change. Even then I only do this a matter of hours before using the water and any more is a waste of energy for no reason. Once the salinity, pH and temperature are matchedand stable you can't do any more for it?
    Likes Tom@HaslettMI, binford4000 liked this post

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat View Post
    Do not put a pump or powerhead in plain RO/DI water, there is no need.
    By doing so you agitate the water and since it is very agressive, trying to get back to its natural "dirty" state, it will attract things out of the air at the waters surface.

I keep a 23 gallon Rubbermaid full of RO/DI for my ATO system in my garage. The container has been in use for a little over 5 years now, has never had a pump or powerhead in it and the TDS still registers 0 using a good COM-100 TDS meter. Keep it quiet or quiescent and covered and it will stay good for months or more.

Once I mix new saltwater, I then add a pump or powerhead and a heater to circulate the water and get it ready for the water change. Even then I only do this a matter of hours before using the water and any more is a waste of energy for no reason. Once the salinity, pH and temperature are matchedand stable you can't do any more for it?
    I also do the same tho I usually do it the night before just for connivence due to the fact that I do 40 gallon water changes. Keeping the new R/O in a sealed drum or container with a good lid is all you should need to do. I use brute garbage cans.