[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Ro Unit

Bookmark and Share
    Pat-O - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Patrick

Default Ro Unit

One of the next couple things I plan to buy is an RO unit. I am not looking for a cheap one but I dont want to spend money I dont need to spend if some are based on brand name and not performance. What would everyone recommend for an RO unit if you guys all recommend one? Any info is appreciated.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

You will not find a better unit at any price than Spectrapure. They have been building systems for Local Fish Stores, major wholesalers and reef hobbyists for 25 years.
    They have a great price on some refurbished units that contain all new filters right now at $120, look at the fifth unit down the page here:
    Untitled Document
    Or if you want and all brand new unit the CSP-DI a few above it is only $199 and includes a dual inline TDS meter and their famous SilicaBuster DI resin.

The MaxCap is the absolute best RO/DI system on the planet and they have it on sale or you can find it for $239 and free shipping at Aquarium Pet Fish Supplies, Tank Accessories, Products & Equipment .

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I disagree with DR. I've ordered from Spectrapure with terrible results. First my order took 3+ weeks to get to me, never informing me that my item was out of stock. When I did get my order they sent the wrong part. I emailed them of the error and have yet to hear back from them. The part I ordered I found again at Filtersdirect.com as far as RO/DI units and all accessories their prices and customer service can't be beat. In my opinion and experience.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Filters Direct or as it is more commonly known as Water General is one of the lowest quality E Bay vendors there is. Many of the components and filters they sell are Chinese clones and not even ANSI/NSF certified for drinking water use in the USA. The quality is no where near the same as any of the many vendors you will find on the reef forums.With RO/DI you really do get what you pay for and thats the absolute bottom of the barrel. This is not just my opinion, get on some of the othe rforums and look up Filters Direct or Water General, you will probably change your mind very quickly.

I try to stay neutral on vendors but this is apples and oranges different, not even in the same ballpark. Kind of like comparing BMW or Mercedes with Yugo or Daiwoo. Which will last and perform better and which will fall apart?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Ummmm ya ok. I get 0 TDS. Good enough for me.
    Last edited by MizTanks; 09-17-2011 at 07:53 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

You are the exception and not the rule. If I may ask, what is your tap wate rTDS, your RO only TDS and how long does your DI stay at 0 TDS? This is what tells the whole story and helps to figure the actual cost of ownership. When DI resin lasts 8 or more times longer its a huge cost savings, it was for me anyway. My old AWI Typhoon III which was supposed to be top of the line gave me 150 gallons of 0 TDS water per D cartridge. My first MaxCap cartridge lasted 830 measured gallons and its been well over 1000 gallons per cartridge ever since. When I spoke with Spectrapure a couple weeks ago they teel me they are developing an even better resin right now and it should be out soon. This is pretty amazing to me and has saved me a ton of money since my tap water TDS is around 630 so eats normal resins.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but that is not normal and I am sure the Pres. of the company would like to know about it. They have had some problems in the past but they are more than generous to their customers to make up for it. They would not be around in this industry for 25 years if this was the way they do things.