[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Results: What salt are you using

Voters
45. Register or Login to Vote
  • BrightWells

5 11.11%
  • Reef Crystals

29 64.44%
  • Red Sea Coral Pro

3 6.67%
  • D-D H2Ocean

1 2.22%
  • Tropic Marin

7 15.56%

Salts

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    CR Member
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default salts

I originally used instant ocean when I had started my tank. I switched to using reef crystals after I started buying up corals and getting away from fish only setups. My calcium and alk stays up but occasionally I have to add some mag. My mag stays in the low 1300, Alk is high about 12, and calcium stays between 450-500. This was what it was at last time I checked it. I was wanting to switch over to the brightwell salt but no one near me carries much of the brightwell products. Plus I tend to find more deals on the Reef crystals on some of the online sites.

The Rugger - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

For what it's worth I use Kent Sea Salt. My Trusted LFS uses it and recommended it. It is a bit more but I have had no issues.

Werdlone - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

I have used RC forever with good results. I never expect the batches of salt mixes to be perfect. I usually do my water change and wait a few hours and test my water parameters. Adjust as needed from there. I just make sure the temp and salinity are in line with the tank. I just recently switched to brightwells...(only one water change so far). We'll see how it goes.

Hardcz...I love when you stir the pot!! hilarious

I am currently using RC but I don't like it. I am trying to decide on what I am going to switch to. I am leaning toward BW but I am not sold yet.

dejavu - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Brian
    Awards Tank of the Month - April 2012 Tank of the Month

Here's my take on salt mixes... if you care to hear. I have test a lot of salts for our club a year ago. Salt mixes always change... most likely the reason that you don't see many study's published. All have positive and negative depending on your needs. Their might be a "prefect" salt out their but I have yet to find one.

What I have done is take a mix of my favorite salts. Why? There are to many story's of bad batch going around. My hopes is that if I mix a few different salt mixes that I like, I can avoid a disaster. I spend to much to relay on one salt of ruin everything. Not only is this protect for my tank... I can get the best that each salt has to offer. It also allow me to add more of what my tank need at each water change.

I test each salt and record their parameters. So if salt A is high in Mg and my tank needs more, I add a little more to my makeup water.

speedstar - Reefkeeper CR Member

Do you mix them dry prior to adding water? mix three separately with water then add? What three do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavu View Post
    Here's my take on salt mixes... if you care to hear. I have test a lot of salts for our club a year ago. Salt mixes always change... most likely the reason that you don't see many study's published. All have positive and negative depending on your needs. Their might be a "prefect" salt out their but I have yet to find one.

What I have done is take a mix of my favorite salts. Why? There are to many story's of bad batch going around. My hopes is that if I mix a few different salt mixes that I like, I can avoid a disaster. I spend to much to relay on one salt of ruin everything. Not only is this protect for my tank... I can get the best that each salt has to offer. It also allow me to add more of what my tank need at each water change.

I test each salt and record their parameters. So if salt A is high in Mg and my tank needs more, I add a little more to my makeup water.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I tried some of that Get Tanked salt in April-May. I think that is when I started losing all my montis. Should have stuck with tropic marin.

dejavu - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Brian
    Awards Tank of the Month - April 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by speedstar View Post
    Do you mix them dry prior to adding water? mix three separately with water then add? What three do you use?
    I mix them in the water. Form what I have read ing them "dry" can cause some chemical reactions. Is it true... not sure but mixing them in the water allows me to control what is being added.

divecj5 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

I've been reefing for a couple of years now and really had great experiences with a variety of salts. I started with Reef Crystals on my 55 and stuck with that for a year and a half. Switched to a bag of regular IO and didn't really notice much of a difference. Now granted, I was mainly keeping LPS and Z's and P's.

Once I started keeping SPS and other more demanding coral, I switched over to DD H2Ocean salt and had great results. I recently ran out of DD and decided to give Brightwell's NeoMarine a whirl. Honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference in the amount I have to dose on a daily basis or any major changes in coloration, polyp extension, or overall health with my SPS. It does seem to mix up a lot faster but other than that, really wouldn't necessarily make the switch from either one to the other.

Not sure what I'll go with for the next bucket of salt....a 50g bag of salt usually lasts me quite a while with only a 20H tank so I have time before the next decision

ReeferMike - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

reefcrystals is the salt i prefer, but for the last month or so been using io because they were out of rc. used the coral pro before and liked it but it seemed to me like the rc mixed better.

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last