[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Skimmate?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Skimmate?

Apparently my skim mate is supposed be of a darker color~??

IMG 0028 - Skimmate?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Bret

been doing a ton of research on adjusting skimmers, looks like yours is running a little wet. i was having a similar problem and i dropped the water level a little and tightened the air intake and mine is running beautiful.

SaltCreeps - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chuck

wet to dry skimming is a preference that the tank owner has to choose. truly wet skimming pulls out more stuff faster as the water surface tension needed to get the foam into the cup is lower. dry skimming will get you darker stuff in the cup but will leave more in the tank. so...... if i do sps i wet skim if i do any other corals i will usually dry skim to leave more particulates in the water.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I know it's running wet~the skimmer never came with an air adjuster~I wrote them and told them this and they said one is not needed that's why there isn't one. So I added one myself and so far the only thing it's been good for is a muffler.
    I guess I'm confused as to what I should be looking for as far as bubbles in the chamber, in the cup. Do I let the skim mate build up on it's own?

Heck I've no idea....

SaltCreeps - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chuck

first of skimmers can be um... well finiky to say the least. to answer the Q above yes let the foam just build up eventually your cup will fill. foam will change to as you feed, doing a water change, top off and so on. the best thing you can do is study your skimmer and slowly adjust and mod it till you are happy with the result. good luck miz

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by SaltCreeps View Post
    first of skimmers can be um... well finiky to say the least. to answer the Q above yes let the foam just build up eventually your cup will fill. foam will change to as you feed, doing a water change, top off and so on. the best thing you can do is study your skimmer and slowly adjust and mod it till you are happy with the result. good luck miz
    Finiky ahh yer just being nice was wondering if I was missing something Thanks SC

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Alot of time, if your tank is new, or really clean- your skimate will be more yellow or green than brown or black. Alot of it depends on what, and how much nastiness the skimmer is getting hold of to pull.

I will take a closer look at the skimmer you purchased, and look for more ways to adjust it. See if I can help.

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

It seems on the wet side to me as well. How often are you having to dump the cup? I would lower the water level in the skimmer to make it skim dryer. I prefer starting a new skimmer very dry and bump up the water level every day or two, that allows for some break-in and easier fine tuning IME....I never go by color, a lot of variables can affect nog color. I grade my skimmers worth by the smell of the nog
    Last edited by Rabidgoose; 04-25-2011 at 07:35 PM.
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

By raising/lowering the water level in my case you mean to raise/lower my skimmer right? However there is about an 1 1/2" piece of tube that at one end is cut at an angle that allows for flow. Do I turn that to raise/lower the water level?

I think I may have been hit with the skimmer stupid stick-:0

CR Member

raise the lift tube to right of cup in pic raising tube makes skimmate drier lower is wetter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last