[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Skimmer Issues

Bookmark and Share
    Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

Default Skimmer Issues

I had been noticing performance issues with my skimmer lately. It just wasn't pulling out the dark nasty skimmate I have grown accustomed to over the past few years. Today I went downstairs and checked out the tank.... The skimmer was full of pretty large bubbles and no foam. I thought to myself, WTH? I just cleaned this thing and let it run in a bucket with a water/vinegar mixture. The pump works perfect and the skimmer itself is clean as a whistle. Then it occurred to me. In order to get the tiny bubble and foam mixture, it has to be pulling in AIR along with the water. DUH.

So I took apart the pump intake assembly and tried to blow through it. Nothing...

IMG 0370medium large1426357142 - Skimmer Issues

I grabbed a pipe cleaner and tried to stick it through the hole, no go. It took several tries to push through the calcium build up. Man, there was a ton in there. I pushed through and put it all back together.

IMG 0371medium large1426357146 - Skimmer Issues

Now she is skimming like day 1. Well, a lot better than day 1, since it has been broken in for some time now.

IMG 0372medium large1426357137 - Skimmer Issues

Moral of the story: When you clean your skimmer, be sure to clean all of it.
    Last edited by Hopkins; 03-14-2015 at 03:01 PM.
    rc Hopkins sig - Skimmer Issues
    Likes Sir Patrick, binford4000 liked this post

Seph - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

Adam, a little trick I use is to get a drill bit that is the size of the Venturi hole and just twist it by hand to clean the calcium buildup. Works a lot easier than trying to force a pipe cleaner through. Just wanted to say your latest pics of your corals look great too.