[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Skimmer Question?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Cash - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Skimmer Question?

When adding a skimmer to my refugium about how long should it be before I should see anything in the top cup?
    Thanks

It varies based on a lot of different factors. What kind of skimmer is it? How much DOC is in the water and what compounds are they? Sometimes a skimmer can start pulling right away and other times it can take days. When tuning a new skimmer your best bet is to make very small adjustments and then let it run for an hour or two. See what it is doing and tweek it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    When adding a skimmer to my refugium about how long should it be before I should see anything in the top cup?
    Thanks

ok well it is an older skimmer (dont laugh) I got for free. Just had to add a pump to it. Red Sea Blerlin Classic. Is it even worth adding this skimmer to my setup? Quick rundow on system- 90g DT with a 29g fuge. I am currently running it in my mixing tub (W/SW) just to see how it works as I have never used one before. It looks like it makes alot of micro bubbles with the adjustment knob full open.

thanks for any input, and let me know if this should be in the newbie section lol

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Old or brand new shouldn't matter, its just a tube of acrylic. The only diff of newer ones is design and cone shapes.

The bubbs are what you want. As they rise to the top and pop is how the skimmer collects the crude. The more the better!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

A crappy skimmer is better than no skimmer. Plus what skimmer is a good skimmer will vary a lot with different people and tanks, I had a sea clone and was happy with it on my 10 gallon tank. But I would not have ventured to more than 20 gallons with it and it was moded.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Ok I have this thing running in my 18g mixing tub with water from a water change in it. The bubbles are no where near getting high enough to get into the collection cup. I am gonna try to take a pic to see if anyone can help with this. The water level is about 11" in the tub. I am using a 460gph pump on this.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Not sure of the sweet spot on that skimmer, most have them but try lifting it a little. You can make a skimmer table out of egg create and beneficial bethnic organisms will live there!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Also fresh clean water will not create the hight of bubbles you need. The DOC's in the water make the bubbles harder to pop. Which is why the bubbles at the top of a skimmer are dark brown, just DOC's up there.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Yeah I put it in my sump and it has bubbles going all the way to the top and into what looks like the collection cup. The thing I am now confused on is, the lower part of the collection cup has a drain in the side. The bubbles flow into this and eventually drain out as water. I dont see what would eventually collect any nasty stuff. The upper part of the cup has holes in the lid and what looks like the bottom. The bottom part also has a screen.

Sorry if I am making this hard to understand just getting frustrated lol
    I have a pic of it running I am uploading in a min.
    Thanks

If you look to the left side of the skimmer right next to the edge of the fuge you can see the 90* drain in it. Hope this helps

117 0366 - Skimmer Question?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last