[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Skimmer question -Super Reef Octopus 1000 Internal Skimmer

Bookmark and Share
    Fish Dad - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Default Skimmer question -Super Reef Octopus 1000 Internal Skimmer

Has anyone used the Super Reef Octopus 1000 Internal Skimmer, Model: SRO-1000INT looking for feedback and amount of space needed in sump. (description says Footprint: 10.6" x 7.5" is that skimmer or total space?)
    I’m just getting into the salt water hobby and trying to design my sump and set up.
    The tank is a 55 gallon and I’m looking at a 20 -30 gallon tank for the sump, thinking this is my skimmer. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

10.6" x 7.5 that would be the rectangular amount of space you need for it to fit in your sump. make sure you look and see how tall it is and make sure it fits for hight too.. You want a couple inches all around the skimmer and its pump so that there is room for maintenance and adjustments, So adding 2 inches out from all directions to that foot print will make for the minimum sump chamber to fit it in.
    I have the Super Reef Octopus 3000 with the bubble blaster pump and I LOVE it. I have a 150g with about 30g sump. I think it is best to get the biggest skimmer you can afford because this is IMO one of the most important things you will buy for this hobby second only to lights. Not to mention you are starting with a 55g but you may want to upgrade down the road so the biggest Super Reef Octopus you can afford would suit you well. I know some will say that you can "over skim" a tank...but I don't think that is very accurate.
    Just some food for thought
    Heidi

PS Welcome to Captive Reefs!!
    Last edited by Heidi; 06-22-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: more complete info.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

+1 only I have the extreme 200. I will be upgrading to the super 3000 shortly.

First Name
    Jim

Well thats good to know looks like the same type of Skimmer, just a smaller model, calculates out right on with what you’re using with the 3000 on a 180 gallon.
    I was originally looking at the Extreme 160, but was advised by Coral Vue the neck would be too big and for my size tank the SRO1000 would do the best job.
    So my first section of my sump will need to be 12” X 12” ( 12”be limited on width)

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

so I tried to reply to this 2 times with a quote button and it messed up the script both times. So third times a charm here goes

You said that you had asked the rep. about the skimmers and I was just curious as to what reason he/she gave for the more powerful skimmer being "too big" ? And yes my skimmer and my tank add up but that is because I bought the biggest skimmer that would fit my sump (pretty small section for the skimmer) and the most I wanted to pay for the skimmer. I would have gotten the 3000 even if It were a 55 gallon tank I was rocking because your skimmer really doesn't care what the total volume is on your tank in gallons... It skims to its full working capacity no matter if you have a 55g tank or a 200g tank. I am not trying to me sassy Hope it doesn't come out that way just trying to help and save you money in the long term if you want a 100 gallon tank in a year or two.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Heidi
    Last edited by Heidi; 06-23-2011 at 06:11 PM.

First Name
    Jim

Oh no problem Heidi, I appreciate the advise, I was just running the numbers and got a positive for once as this stuff seems to spin a lot as what to get… I’m obsessed with setting it up right, without a second mortgage. Originally I posted a question on another site (of course that was before I found this site) so we have to go back a few weeks back,,,,,

I was hoping to find a good skimmer in the $150 price range, but learned I needed to go with a better skimmer and look at the Octopus line, so I started with NWB100… Then I went to the LFS and they recommended the OCT-XS160 $ 299. So I decided to spend more money but thought I would ask the manufacturer to see what they had to say.
    This is their reply - The 160 will never work on a system your size the neck is just too large. I used the Extreme 160 on my 180gal as a backup for years. I only suggest this skimmer for tanks 90gals or more. Your tank requires a smaller neck to work properly on a smaller bioload. The key to getting performance out of a skimmer and to obtain low-consistent levels is to get a skimmer sized for your aquarium. The OTP or NWB100 is our introductory line but if you wanted to get a better skimmer then I would look into the SRO 1000.
    So I’m trying to figure out a sump and having problems as my space is limited under the cabinet. Not only width but Height…. Actually need to post another on sump size 20 long or 30gallon??? As I don’t think a 20 high will work as I would never get 3 compartments out of it with these Skimmers.
    WOW that was a long post – do they count it as two post and move me to Microorganism -HA

First Name
    Jim

Just a follow up.....

Moving to Reef Octopus Extreme 6 Inch XS160 (160 Gallon) in Sump Protein Skimmer

Moving to a bigger tank for sure so the 55 gallon is out and this will fit.