[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

skimmerless system requirements?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default skimmerless system requirements?

I am in final stages of the planning of a 125gal setup (tank and sump total volume) and would LIKE to stay skimmerless. For the past 9 months I have been running a 10gal and then a 20gal saltwater setup without any filtration (just monthly 20% water changes). When I do this new tank, I would LIKE to just let filter feeders take care of nutriant exsport but the question is "HOW MUCH am I going to need?"

I have a "full size" (actually he is HUGE comparitive to most) feather duster, another small one, and today I got a clump of (probubly 30+) fan worms....I also have macros and zenia....

I was told "well....if you get some clams, some other filter feeders, etc....you could do it" but what/how many?

what about "food grade" clams (the maximas are $$$).....could I go to a live seafood store (have no idea where there is one in Phoenix but...thats another quest) and get some clams to toss in the refuge (I'm using almost 100% of the sump as a fuge)?

ideas?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I think you got the right idea with infauna being able to uptake the majority of the nutrients in the tank.The thing is,"filter feeders" aren't really what you should be concentrating on.Almost all corals can uptake nutrients from the water colum.Soft Corals in particular use this "absorption" feeding method.I've researched these skimmerless tanks and they are intriguing.The basic approach is patience,allowing all of the sandbed/tank infauna to become popultated for 4-6months before adding any fish.In a tank like this,I'd stay away from known pod pretators.Since the infauna/flora in the tank is gonna be your source of nutrient uptake,its important not to add any fish that will just wipe out there population.

dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

I've ran skimmerless on my fish only for many years. This has been accomplished by heavy filtration of other types and lots of water changes. For a reef tank however I think that Dave has u on the right path. I think that the only way to accomplish it without a crash or poor water quality is to keep fish at bay for awhile and allow filtration by all things in the water column. I don't think u could ever allow urself the addition of anything that would prey on pods either once u do add fish (like a mandarin). Corals are amazing in their ability to improve their water and to get nutrients out of it. Keep us posted on ur results I think more than one of us would be interested.

Angie
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

so what kinds of corals should I be looking at then?

I have been told Zenia (which I have a small "clump" of) is good, but what are some other good ones?

I'm thinking I should PROBUBLY stay away from the hards (SPCs) if I'm trying to go this route (right?) since I understand that they like the water to be as clean as possible. This leads me to think softs would be the way to go.

Someone I talked to at the LFS told me Gorgonians are quite good at uptake also (and that he personally has had quite a bit of luck keeping them alive).
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you want to do an sps in the tank I would do what I call the flush method. I only run my skimmer about 7-10 days a month but I also use a pressure base skimmer that is capable of removing the posphates, organics, ect... quickly. Usally the beckett or downdraft design is the best for do this. As far as SPS liking clean water it really depends on were they are from and what else you have in the tank. Deeper water acro's like Bali's, or salomin islands like to have a dirtyness there as long as it is not to much. If you have some large clams 6"-10" they also like a little dirt. I find that everything does better when my skimmer is turned off for some reason, but i also fear a build up that I can't control so that is why I run it.
    Any ways I would at least consider running some type of carbon such as Pura to at least remove some of the coral toxins that are produced naturaly.
    As far as natural cleaners, some sponges, some Gorgonians, some LPS, and clams, clams, and more clams.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

will these clams work

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4

or do I need the big, expensive, clams (the maximas).....
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

There are several methods that may work... a greater form of natural filtration(superior refugium space, size, etc... 3x's and above actual show tank). A very limited stock, feeding habits, lighting, and flow through the display will also be of great importance. IMO, before purchasing livestock or anything to do a certain task in the system, do some extensive research and try to see others reviews before going on.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Good points J/PAardvark,but I must disagree on clams being a key factor in this type of system.
    They are nearly autotrophic,with phytoplankton being used as there source of heteretrophy.You want fauna/flora that are known to be dissolved organic uptakers.I dont think Clams fall into this category.Just about any coral is capable of "absorption" feeding,includeing SPS(bad term).Acropora sp. from the Caribbean can be found in lagoons so i don't feel that a skimmer is needed if you want to grow SPStype corals that fit the biotope of this tank.I recall seeing one of Eric B's old 40 breeders that was skimmerless and it had various types of "SPS" corals in it.I do think an agressive carbon filtration scheme would work well for this type of tank as PA suggests.

just to be clear, the carbon would be for the toxons released by the corals correct?

which work better for uptake, "SPCs", "LPCs", or soft corals?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

Well,it does do that too but carbon is capable of absorbing dissolved oraganics too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last