[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Is Skimming a must?

Bookmark and Share

Default Is Skimming a must?

Just wondering if skimming is a must?
    Ive been running my 55g for about 8 months now with no skimming, and I notice awsome growth from shrooms, zoos, and softies. Above Average growth from my monti digita, and average growth on my monti cap. My pets seem happy my anenomies seem happy (one even split) so just wondering whats everyones take on this.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have considered going without a skimmer for awhile. I haven't taken the plunge yet. From what I have read, I believe it really boils down to a very healthy balanced tank and your stocking choices. The skimmer is there to give you a wider room for error I think such as in the case of a MIA fish or getting a little crazy at feeding time. Also alot of the softies seem to prefer a high nutrient level tank. I have read article or two on goniopora and they seem to thrive in more nutrient reach water which is one of the reasons they have a high fail rate in skimmed tanks. I have also heard people state that could be the reason elegance fair so poorly now compared to in the past.

Interesting note. I consider my tank lightly stocked and I do not over feed. I have 2 tangs, 1 chromie, 2 damsels, 1 small percula, 1 big maroon, and 2 shrimps. In a 55 gallon with sump and refugium. What I do notice is I have more algea (random not specifically a certain one) then most tanks I see and I wonder if that has to do with skimming or my phosphate levels.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

it sounds like you have a good bio load going there.. i run my 55 gal without a skimmer. i have tried it both with and with out and never noticed a differance. from what i understand if you have lots of sps its recomeneded.
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

CR Member
    First Name
    Steven

Skimmers are certainly not necessary, but I believe they are very helpful and that most people will be better served having a skimmer than not.

By the way, I agree. You have a pretty good bioload or will soon enough as those two tangs mature and grow larger.