[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Small Powerhead

Bookmark and Share
Page 4 of 4 First ... 2 3 4
    binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Got the package today Don. Nice packing job. Tx and nice meeting ya !

Great write up!

I also found the external motors of the Vortechs problematic. Bumped them too often, and also found it unsightly. Maybe if my tank was built into the wall it would not have that annoyance, but....

I had a 6025 laying around (just sold it a few days ago) and found it very quiet. I wonder if the one you tested had an issue.

I've used a Koralia nano in the past (ideal for a nano but not much more) and there's a K1 in pjr-ette's breeder 50; does a very nice job in that application, pretty quiet too.

Wednesday I purchased a 6045 to augment the flow on the 130g tank. It's the same size as a 6025 but I believe more than twice the flow! For $90 it's one of the best deals around; nice quality, solid warrant, very flexible design, small size makes it easy to hide, and a great clamp system that allows you to direct flow at problem areas (i.e., detritus and cyano). In comparison to a MP10, it's a lot of flow an a much lower cost (but no controllability like the Vortechs).

Maybe more flow in the overall tank will eliminate the cyano issue.... there's one thing for sure: cyano HATES flow. That's pretty well documented!
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

pjr - I should have been more clear - NONE of the pumps were noisy. ALL were quieter than I had expected. I am just saying that relative to the others, it was noisiest... And, yeah, I am probably gonna have to do something for more flow. Soon.

Page 4 of 4 First ... 2 3 4