[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Small Powerhead

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

You shouldn't see much change in temp from either of the debated brands. The evo's work we'll but do have starting issues. Some times the motor reverse's and also they take up allot of space. The 6025 will travel 36 also. Either one will do what ya want tho it's really upto your taste in your tanks presentation. I have a mp10 es w laying around if you want to try a vortech. I can lend it to you. Just be warned ,once you use one you'll want one ! Lol

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Have you considered two pumps? One on either side. The type of pumps we are discussing aren't really great for providing a high velocity sediment moving type flow. The stream type pumps are good for providing high volume low velocity/pressure type flow. They are great pumps for moving a lot of water, but lack the flow intensity relative to other styles of pumps. Of course with that said, you could get a larger modeled of the above discussed pumps and probably achieve what you want. Its a matter of balancing size/function.

You may be better off with a maxijet 1200 (or similar).

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

i know im a little late for this one but i would sugget a koralia nano 425. i have the 240 in my 30 gal cube along with 2 oversized HOB filters. this should be an affordable way to stir things up back there.

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

I will suggest 1 or 2 Tunze 6025 hidden behind your rockwork. Price in these discussions is relative but the Tunze is readily available, moves a fair amount of water and is basically bulletproof. I can't speak to there warranty as I've never needed it.

chuck
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    Tunze is awesome, but to pay nearly double the price for a powerhead that is going to be from the sounds of it tucked behind the rockwork anyways does a slightly bigger sized koralia make much difference? Also the possible start and reverse issues only come into play when you have them on a timer or turn them on and off frequently.... most can be solved FME with a dab of glue on the rubber bump stop as well I have been using my 3 1400's for over 2 years now, and a 750 for about a year, all but the 750 have been on a timer the entire time as well. Only time I have had issues were when the rubber stop on the front cover came out and jammed the propeller, glued them all in place and haven't had a problem since.

As far as heat, I ran my 180 at 75.5 degrees w/o issue w/o a chiller for 2 years, hottest it ever got to was 77.1 and that was on a day that was over 80 and we didn't run the a/c.

For the purpose of the pump I would go with a koralia 550-750 atleast and put the extra 20-30 towards something cooler lol
    This is a case of you get what you pay for though. I would submit the Tunze out performs the cheaper ones by pushing the water farther.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    Yeah my tunze 6060 (1600gph) will kill my evolution 1400's for distance.... but the compared initial cost it kills it as well... and for a 55g do you really need to be able to push the water 6' instead of 3-4'? lol
    True enough, but my koralias 6 won't push past 2 feet.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Well we should get the truth of which will work best soon. I lent him a korila,a tunze and a vortech mp10 so let the results speak for themselves!

Man I need to clean out that fish room,too much stuff laying around. Lol

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

The thread has been edited so please direct your comments/posts to the OP

thanks......chuck
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Yes, thanks for your generosity, Chuck.

I started, of course, with the MP10. I know this thing will do a world of different things, but I have it set to constant velocity - about 80% right now. I want to compare it only against the abilities of the other two. One quick result was that my protein skimmer finally seems to be functioning well. I guess a lot of crap had been settling out, but now is finding the overflow AND the protein skimmer!

Trying to come up with an objective method of judging the results...

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Well we should get the truth of which will work best soon. I lent him a korila,a tunze and a vortech mp10 so let the results speak for themselves!

Man I need to clean out that fish room,too much stuff laying around. Lol
    way to go binford, i love hearing about this kind of generosity within our community.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last